Coach Brooks aims for win no. 400 this Saturday
Women’s basketball team hopes to achieve win for coach
Senior Trey Mays pushes past to make a basket against ENMU. Pam Belcher
Women's Head Basketball Coach Sally Brooks has accomplished many things since taking over ASU's program in 2000.
She has led the 'Belles to four Lone Star Conference Championship wins, coached 33 All-LSC players, appeared in the NCAA tournament seven times, been LSC Coach of the Year twice and has raised her two children with her husband Kevin at the same time.
Now, Brooks is just a Saturday's win away from another prestigious achievement.
If the 'Belles win their 2 p.m. game against Incarnate Word in San Antonio on Saturday, Jan. 19, Coach Brooks will have earned her 400th career win as the head coach at ASU.
Brooks' continued presence here echoes the dedication she has not only to basketball, but to ASU itself.
"I thought this was a great job when I took the opportunity and came here," Brooks said.
"I never had any intention of leaving here. I love being a D-II basketball coach and I think ASU is a great place to coach and San Angelo is a great place to live."
For 13 years, ASU has been lucky to have Brooks and her strength and leadership continue to shine 399 wins later.
"That's a huge accomplishment," junior center Lauren Holt said. "I cannot even fathom 400 wins, so we're going to get this win for coach and get off to a good winning streak."
If the women can defeat Incarnate Word, they will have a chance to have that winning streak that Holt wants with a home game against Abilene Christian on Wed Jan. 23.
The 'Belles have had an even year with 7-7 overall record and a 4-4 conference record after Wednesday night's 65-51 win over Texas A&M-Kingsville University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques