Coach Brooks aims for win no. 400 this Saturday
Women’s basketball team hopes to achieve win for coach
Senior Trey Mays pushes past to make a basket against ENMU. Pam Belcher
Women's Head Basketball Coach Sally Brooks has accomplished many things since taking over ASU's program in 2000.
She has led the 'Belles to four Lone Star Conference Championship wins, coached 33 All-LSC players, appeared in the NCAA tournament seven times, been LSC Coach of the Year twice and has raised her two children with her husband Kevin at the same time.
Now, Brooks is just a Saturday's win away from another prestigious achievement.
If the 'Belles win their 2 p.m. game against Incarnate Word in San Antonio on Saturday, Jan. 19, Coach Brooks will have earned her 400th career win as the head coach at ASU.
Brooks' continued presence here echoes the dedication she has not only to basketball, but to ASU itself.
"I thought this was a great job when I took the opportunity and came here," Brooks said.
"I never had any intention of leaving here. I love being a D-II basketball coach and I think ASU is a great place to coach and San Angelo is a great place to live."
For 13 years, ASU has been lucky to have Brooks and her strength and leadership continue to shine 399 wins later.
"That's a huge accomplishment," junior center Lauren Holt said. "I cannot even fathom 400 wins, so we're going to get this win for coach and get off to a good winning streak."
If the women can defeat Incarnate Word, they will have a chance to have that winning streak that Holt wants with a home game against Abilene Christian on Wed Jan. 23.
The 'Belles have had an even year with 7-7 overall record and a 4-4 conference record after Wednesday night's 65-51 win over Texas A&M-Kingsville University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Prevent Water Damage And Cut Insurance Costs
- How to Sit Through a Movie in Comfort
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'