Coach Brooks aims for win no. 400 this Saturday
Women’s basketball team hopes to achieve win for coach
Senior Trey Mays pushes past to make a basket against ENMU. Pam Belcher
Women's Head Basketball Coach Sally Brooks has accomplished many things since taking over ASU's program in 2000.
She has led the 'Belles to four Lone Star Conference Championship wins, coached 33 All-LSC players, appeared in the NCAA tournament seven times, been LSC Coach of the Year twice and has raised her two children with her husband Kevin at the same time.
Now, Brooks is just a Saturday's win away from another prestigious achievement.
If the 'Belles win their 2 p.m. game against Incarnate Word in San Antonio on Saturday, Jan. 19, Coach Brooks will have earned her 400th career win as the head coach at ASU.
Brooks' continued presence here echoes the dedication she has not only to basketball, but to ASU itself.
"I thought this was a great job when I took the opportunity and came here," Brooks said.
"I never had any intention of leaving here. I love being a D-II basketball coach and I think ASU is a great place to coach and San Angelo is a great place to live."
For 13 years, ASU has been lucky to have Brooks and her strength and leadership continue to shine 399 wins later.
"That's a huge accomplishment," junior center Lauren Holt said. "I cannot even fathom 400 wins, so we're going to get this win for coach and get off to a good winning streak."
If the women can defeat Incarnate Word, they will have a chance to have that winning streak that Holt wants with a home game against Abilene Christian on Wed Jan. 23.
The 'Belles have had an even year with 7-7 overall record and a 4-4 conference record after Wednesday night's 65-51 win over Texas A&M-Kingsville University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board