Coach Brooks aims for win no. 400 this Saturday
Women’s basketball team hopes to achieve win for coach
Senior Trey Mays pushes past to make a basket against ENMU. Pam Belcher
Women's Head Basketball Coach Sally Brooks has accomplished many things since taking over ASU's program in 2000.
She has led the 'Belles to four Lone Star Conference Championship wins, coached 33 All-LSC players, appeared in the NCAA tournament seven times, been LSC Coach of the Year twice and has raised her two children with her husband Kevin at the same time.
Now, Brooks is just a Saturday's win away from another prestigious achievement.
If the 'Belles win their 2 p.m. game against Incarnate Word in San Antonio on Saturday, Jan. 19, Coach Brooks will have earned her 400th career win as the head coach at ASU.
Brooks' continued presence here echoes the dedication she has not only to basketball, but to ASU itself.
"I thought this was a great job when I took the opportunity and came here," Brooks said.
"I never had any intention of leaving here. I love being a D-II basketball coach and I think ASU is a great place to coach and San Angelo is a great place to live."
For 13 years, ASU has been lucky to have Brooks and her strength and leadership continue to shine 399 wins later.
"That's a huge accomplishment," junior center Lauren Holt said. "I cannot even fathom 400 wins, so we're going to get this win for coach and get off to a good winning streak."
If the women can defeat Incarnate Word, they will have a chance to have that winning streak that Holt wants with a home game against Abilene Christian on Wed Jan. 23.
The 'Belles have had an even year with 7-7 overall record and a 4-4 conference record after Wednesday night's 65-51 win over Texas A&M-Kingsville University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Do More With Less
- New Treatment for Undiagnosed Sports Injuries -- From...
- Beat the Crowds: Visit Europe During the Shoulder Seasons
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Entries Now Open for 7th Annual College Sports Media Awards
- Rescue your Spring Break with new app dubbed the "Uber of Roadside Assistance"
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending