Why make a New Year's Resolution?
Plan for every day to be better than the one before.
Senior Trey Mays pushes past to make a basket against ENMU. Pam Belcher
I hear people every year talking about how they will become a 'new person' or start on a 'new path' during the New Year ... Why wait?
You can get the ball rolling before it's time to change the calendar. I have never been the person to make a resolution, because I see too many people fail in this area, but instead year-round I have my goals posted on my refrigerator. Yes, sometimes they change so I re-write them but New Year's Resolution is a 'no no' for me.
1. Every day should be a day you push to make better than the day before.
2. Most people do not have the will power to stick the year out fulfilling their resolution.
3. Why wasn't it a goal before Jan. 1?
Maybe people think when the date refreshes, their mind and actions will automatically do the same, but unfortunately it does not work that way. If your resolution is something you had the power to change all along, what were you waiting for? And is that thing that held you back last year going to hold you back again? You have to prepare mentally for a change if you control the variables.
Personal goals should be in effect at all times. I feel that every day a person should look to better themselves for their own benefit not just because you needed a resolution to bring in the New Year with. Short and long term goals are important. Even if it's as small as an attitude adjustment, you will see that the smallest things help out the most. I keep a list of things to do for myself and with my family.
A new year does not have to consist of a personal make-over, but people tend to gear their goals directly towards their appearance. Try volunteering more, or helping in an area that you do not particularly favor.
If you do make resolutions, I hope that you can stick to them. I know there are always temptations and obstacles. I am not knocking resolutions, but I am knocking the people that set one just because someone else does knowing they will not follow through. If you set them I feel you should take them a little more seriously and get through at least a month of whatever it is you set your goal to be. Some people don't have the will power to keep up and discipline themselves, or they are afraid because they have not thought through what making the change will bring for them, and how it will affect their social life or family. I feel that if you want something so bad to the point that you can taste it, most of the time, and I repeat MOST OF THE TIME, it is worth going after.
When making goals to better yourself, it is important to put aside what other people think about your goals and focus on you. That person may just be jealous because they don't have what it takes to change so they want to bring you down. Be stern when you make your goals. Be determined. And most of all be anxious to see your changes, internal or external.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Softball seniors go out with a bang at their last home game
- German club hosts Walpurgis Night, all are invited
- Student chooses ASU for the small time feel, scholarships and smiling faces
- Athlete from Hamlin, Texas, picks ASU for track experience
- PIKE gets risqué for a good cause
- Famous paleontologist talks to students about his discovery of an extinct fish
- Drop and Shop sale benefits Concho Valley PAWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!