Why make a New Year's Resolution?
Plan for every day to be better than the one before.
Senior Trey Mays pushes past to make a basket against ENMU. Pam Belcher
I hear people every year talking about how they will become a 'new person' or start on a 'new path' during the New Year ... Why wait?
You can get the ball rolling before it's time to change the calendar. I have never been the person to make a resolution, because I see too many people fail in this area, but instead year-round I have my goals posted on my refrigerator. Yes, sometimes they change so I re-write them but New Year's Resolution is a 'no no' for me.
1. Every day should be a day you push to make better than the day before.
2. Most people do not have the will power to stick the year out fulfilling their resolution.
3. Why wasn't it a goal before Jan. 1?
Maybe people think when the date refreshes, their mind and actions will automatically do the same, but unfortunately it does not work that way. If your resolution is something you had the power to change all along, what were you waiting for? And is that thing that held you back last year going to hold you back again? You have to prepare mentally for a change if you control the variables.
Personal goals should be in effect at all times. I feel that every day a person should look to better themselves for their own benefit not just because you needed a resolution to bring in the New Year with. Short and long term goals are important. Even if it's as small as an attitude adjustment, you will see that the smallest things help out the most. I keep a list of things to do for myself and with my family.
A new year does not have to consist of a personal make-over, but people tend to gear their goals directly towards their appearance. Try volunteering more, or helping in an area that you do not particularly favor.
If you do make resolutions, I hope that you can stick to them. I know there are always temptations and obstacles. I am not knocking resolutions, but I am knocking the people that set one just because someone else does knowing they will not follow through. If you set them I feel you should take them a little more seriously and get through at least a month of whatever it is you set your goal to be. Some people don't have the will power to keep up and discipline themselves, or they are afraid because they have not thought through what making the change will bring for them, and how it will affect their social life or family. I feel that if you want something so bad to the point that you can taste it, most of the time, and I repeat MOST OF THE TIME, it is worth going after.
When making goals to better yourself, it is important to put aside what other people think about your goals and focus on you. That person may just be jealous because they don't have what it takes to change so they want to bring you down. Be stern when you make your goals. Be determined. And most of all be anxious to see your changes, internal or external.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- ASU celebrates mascot’s birthday with cupcakes and party hats
- Agriculture students volunteer at the stock show and rodeo
- Former UCPC performer could potentially be the next American Idol
- Rams and Rambelles rack up another victory
- ASU ROTC Program is best detachment in the region
- UCPC hosts grocery bingo for students and gets great results
- Career development hosts a blue and gold scavenger hunt
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How to Make Outdoor Spaces as Beautiful and Comfortable...
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...