Rams dominate the court with another home win
Rams head out of town for next game
The Rams continued their home dominance against the Midwestern Mustangs on Wednesday, Jan. 22 with a win 83-68.
Now with a 9-0 home victory the Rams are looking to push the energy to their next games.
Ten Rams scored in the game with Senior Kenny Williams leading with 18 points.
"We did good tonight," freshman Chantz Chambers said. "Midwestern is a great team and we are trying to come out and beat teams that are better than us,"
Chambers, along with Junior Tommy Woolridge each added 12 points to the Rams victory.
At halftime, the Rams held the lead against Midwestern at 41-31.
Woolridge said that the team did their job and scouted well from their assistant coach, Cinco Boone.
"Coach Beard put the play in and we played well," he said. "I think the team chemistry on the court was great."
The Rams had a staggering 20 point lead (71-51) on a pair of free throws from Chambers.
That was then matched at 73-53 on a Williams layup with on 4:11 minutes to play.
Throughout the game, ASU forced 21 turnovers and limited their own turnovers to 15 and had three blocked shots and eight steals in the game.
"We are like brothers out there and we are a really big family," Chambers said. "Why be selfish against such a great team and then try to get the win?"
In the first 20 minutes of play, Ryan Marsh, Chris Talkington, Reggie Sutton and Daniel Skinner all scored four points.
Talkington finished the game with eight points, while Marsh and Sutton had six.
The Rams halftime score was supported by a 53 percent shooting from the field and five three-pointers.
"If we see someone open on the court and we have a wide open shot, we will make the extra pass," Woolridge said.
ASU's bench even outscored the Mustangs reserves 36-26. It was led by Woolridge and Chambers whose double-digit scoring performances both came off the bench along with Thomas Brandsma (five points) and Omari Gudul (three points).
"We are like brothers out there and we are a real big family," Chambers said. "Why be selfish against such a great team and then try to get the win?"
As for what the team needs to work on for the next couple of games, Chambers said the Rams need to work on containment.
Woolridge said the team needs to work on offensive rebounds.
"We try to limit to 10 offensive rebounds to each game," he said. "That and execute our plays a little bit more."
Since the 2000-01 season, this is the first time Angelo State is 9-1 at home. This game was the second straight game against Midwestern State that ASU has won.
The Rams will be back on the court, Sat. Jan. 25 in Lawton, Okla. against Cameron University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Families to gather for campus-wide activities
- Rambelles keep a clear head in their winning streak
- Chop Busters, a way to drum up some muscle
- Artistry of all forms welcome to campus club
- Physics major goes to Switzerland with hopes to answer mysteries of the universe
- Korean student sees difference in US communication
- Students challenge themselves and make new friends
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
- Career in Sales Can Satisfy an Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Lighting Tips for Your Media Room
- The High Price of Health Care Illiteracy
- More Americans Choose Chiropractic Care: Gallup
- Is the Controversy Around Carrageenan Warranted?
- Limited Space, Big Love: Solutions for Cat Lovers in...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games
- Golden Door Scholars Expands Reach of College Scholarship Program for High-Performing Undocumented Students
- INTRODUCING: PAY YOUR SELFIE™, THE FIRST APP THAT PAYS CASH TO ANYONE FOR SELFIES