ASU graduate appointed Student Regent
Heimbecker links students ideas with administration
Texas Tech University System (TTUS) student regent has taken higher education to the next step by setting boundless goals and showing students'; not only at ASU but also at Texas Tech, that success is assembled through education, dedication and hard work.
Joshua Heimbecker was appointed student regent for the 2013 -2014 year by Gov. Rick Perry.
"It's been really great, it's been incredibly insightful, and it reveals what all goes into higher
education," Heimbecker said.
As a student regent Heimbecker is a voting member and a part of the governing body for
the TTUS. In the midst of his term on the board, Heimbecker has experienced how the TTUS
operates, he said.
"There are many different facets, of the unity of the system, and how complicated it is.," he
said. "It's really neat to see all the people from the staff and administrators to students, working for a common goal, which is the pursuit of excellence for the TTUS."
While serving on the board, Heimbecker said he has been able to link student's ideas with
"I just wanted to facilitate what's best for the students, [and] I wanted to express their
opinion and really be a liaison between the board of regents and the student's of TTSU,"
he said. "I want to give insight where I can, I want to give direction where I can and when I'm asked, I want to do my best at represent the voice and the opinion of the students."
Since graduating from ASU in 2013, Heimbecker has made immediate plans to pursue his Master's in Business Administration either at ASU or Texas Tech.
"TTUS has a new science, technology, engineering and mathematics (T-STEM) and are recruiting students with a science background into the business world," he said. "Med school is not out of the question either."
Assistant Professor of Biochemistry Dr. Edith Osborne said she is elated for Heimbecker's success.
"[He] has the energy and the desire to learn, he wants to give his all and fulfill his role in any activity," she said. "It's been a pleasure to watch him grow, he's a good student and he puts his heart into being a student regent and a representative for ASU."
When not striving to improve higher education, Heimbecker said he spends time playing guitar, power lifting and doing things to check off his bucket list, like traveling nationwide with a musical.
This past December, Heimbecker experienced graduation in a different light by being able to sit with the administration on the stage.
"It was really cool as a student to be representing the board and representing the governance of the system," Heimbecker said. "I got to see students that I've had class with walking across the stage and shake their hands."
Heimbecker said it is sometimes difficult for ASU students to make the future a realization, but he continues to strive in his goals and inspire other students to succeed.
"Every day is an opportunity to better yourself and learn what you can," Heimbecker said. "Whether your next step is an advanced degree, a professional school, or the workforce, these eight semesters that you have are supposed to prepare you for the rest of your life. Seize the moment, it's not an opportunity that everyone has."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Delta Zeta hosts their last annual Turtle Tug philanthropy event
- Korean student chose ASU to practice English
- ASU brings a dark subject to light through an open mic night
- Ram Tram gives students at ASU a new mode of transportation
- Guns on campus may become a reality in near future
- A new era begins after a legendary season for Ram Basketball
- Ram baseball wins two of the four game series against Tarleton
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now