Theater program makes its big break
Department changes name and location
The Theater department has left its long time home with the Communications and Mass Media department to combine with the Visual Arts and Music in the new department of Visual and Performing Arts.
The decision was made last summer that theater would be best served if taken out of the Communications and Mass Media department and put in with Art and Music according to Michael Burnett, Assistant Professor and Assistant Director of the University Theater.
Many faculty involved in the decision believe this change will be beneficial.
President of ASU Dr. Brian May said the restructuring of the departments will make scholarship allocation, fundraising, and coordination more efficient.
"Theater, in particular, could well benefit from being in a Fine Arts Department rather than one focused on Communications and Mass Media." May said. "We believe that having offices near one another will positively contribute to the collegiality and efficient functioning of the proposed new department."
Junior Rebecca Sussdorf, who is majoring in Communications with a minor in theater, thinks it makes more sense that theater is going to combine with art and music now, though she chose theater as a minor because it was combined with the Communication department.
"I guess it was a good decision for them to do that." Sussdorf said. "As far as organization goes, they made a good decision to change the departments."
Bill Doll, theater professor and director of University Theater, thinks each discipline will continue to evolve.
The new department will function relatively the same way academically and production-wise, according to staff members.
"The program is the same; we just have a different department to report to," Burnett said.
Many students said they had no idea that the Theater department was switching departments, and some express uncertainty.
Senior theater major, Janna Pinson says she's disappointed in the switch but it's mainly because the faculty in the Communications department supports the theater work.
"They come see all the shows and never hesitate to tell us how proud they are even if they aren't technically our professors," Pinson said. "I know most would assume the arts are where we need to be as theater students, but we found a home with the Communications department."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards