CSI professional speaks at San Angelo schools
Expert shows non-glamourous side of CSI
Running back Tristan Carter, junior, 7, breaks off a tackle during the Harvey Martin Classic on Saturday, Sept. 11 against Texas A&M. Courtesy of Athletic Communications
Director of the Houston Police Department (HPD) Crime Lab Irma Rios gave her lecture, "The Real Life Crime Scene Investigation (CSI),"on Friday, Feb. 22 at the University Center.
Rios used real-life police cases to explain the processes and various ways of testing evidence and how the findings are used in the courtroom. She also spoke about her career path to becoming a crime lab director.
"I want people to take away from my presentations that it is not CSI-the Hollywood version," Rios said. "These [cases] are the real things we see and it is highly scrutinized."
Rios has 28 years of experience in forensic crime labs and has been Director of the HPD Crime Lab since 2003.
She currently oversees the Biology/DNA/Trace, Controlled Substances, Toxicology, and Firearms Programs with the HPD.
"It is not glamorous, but I'm passionate about my job and it is nice to see people interested in what we do and who may want to join this career field," Rios said.
Sophomore Ruben Garza said the lecture was very informative and fun to watch.
"I liked how she showed real cases and how they tested evidence," Garza said.
Rios also met with Howard College students, San Angelo Independent School District seniors, and with Texas Leadership Charter Academy high school students the same day.
ASU's Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) Office and the Career Development Office sponsored Rios' visit as part of the HSI Speaker Series, which brings speakers to campus to discuss a wide range of topics pertaining to the goals of the university's HSI grants from the U.S. Department of Education.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”