CSI professional speaks at San Angelo schools
Expert shows non-glamourous side of CSI
Running back Tristan Carter, junior, 7, breaks off a tackle during the Harvey Martin Classic on Saturday, Sept. 11 against Texas A&M. Courtesy of Athletic Communications
Director of the Houston Police Department (HPD) Crime Lab Irma Rios gave her lecture, "The Real Life Crime Scene Investigation (CSI),"on Friday, Feb. 22 at the University Center.
Rios used real-life police cases to explain the processes and various ways of testing evidence and how the findings are used in the courtroom. She also spoke about her career path to becoming a crime lab director.
"I want people to take away from my presentations that it is not CSI-the Hollywood version," Rios said. "These [cases] are the real things we see and it is highly scrutinized."
Rios has 28 years of experience in forensic crime labs and has been Director of the HPD Crime Lab since 2003.
She currently oversees the Biology/DNA/Trace, Controlled Substances, Toxicology, and Firearms Programs with the HPD.
"It is not glamorous, but I'm passionate about my job and it is nice to see people interested in what we do and who may want to join this career field," Rios said.
Sophomore Ruben Garza said the lecture was very informative and fun to watch.
"I liked how she showed real cases and how they tested evidence," Garza said.
Rios also met with Howard College students, San Angelo Independent School District seniors, and with Texas Leadership Charter Academy high school students the same day.
ASU's Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) Office and the Career Development Office sponsored Rios' visit as part of the HSI Speaker Series, which brings speakers to campus to discuss a wide range of topics pertaining to the goals of the university's HSI grants from the U.S. Department of Education.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!