CSI professional speaks at San Angelo schools
Expert shows non-glamourous side of CSI
Running back Tristan Carter, junior, 7, breaks off a tackle during the Harvey Martin Classic on Saturday, Sept. 11 against Texas A&M. Courtesy of Athletic Communications
Director of the Houston Police Department (HPD) Crime Lab Irma Rios gave her lecture, "The Real Life Crime Scene Investigation (CSI),"on Friday, Feb. 22 at the University Center.
Rios used real-life police cases to explain the processes and various ways of testing evidence and how the findings are used in the courtroom. She also spoke about her career path to becoming a crime lab director.
"I want people to take away from my presentations that it is not CSI-the Hollywood version," Rios said. "These [cases] are the real things we see and it is highly scrutinized."
Rios has 28 years of experience in forensic crime labs and has been Director of the HPD Crime Lab since 2003.
She currently oversees the Biology/DNA/Trace, Controlled Substances, Toxicology, and Firearms Programs with the HPD.
"It is not glamorous, but I'm passionate about my job and it is nice to see people interested in what we do and who may want to join this career field," Rios said.
Sophomore Ruben Garza said the lecture was very informative and fun to watch.
"I liked how she showed real cases and how they tested evidence," Garza said.
Rios also met with Howard College students, San Angelo Independent School District seniors, and with Texas Leadership Charter Academy high school students the same day.
ASU's Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) Office and the Career Development Office sponsored Rios' visit as part of the HSI Speaker Series, which brings speakers to campus to discuss a wide range of topics pertaining to the goals of the university's HSI grants from the U.S. Department of Education.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities