Ram Page gets new website
New website design will “draw people in”
The updated Ram Page website debuted Friday, April 19, and so far there has been a large number of hits.
"We had 207 hits on Friday when it opened and then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday of this week we have had over 100 hits," Freshman Riley Mashburn, Ram Page online editor, said. "We are consistently above 100 hits a day."
Mashburn began working on the website design in October and has been working with the staff to satisfy everyone's ideas.
"I have been getting general feedback from the staff as to what they wanted, going back and forth with Dr. Johnson," Mashburn said. "There has also been a lot of e-mailing back and forth with College Publisher who is the host for the site."
Junior Mariah Powell, Ram Page Editor-in-Chief said it is important to keep the Ram Page up-to-date online and through social media.
"We make sure that our online site is updated at all times," Powell said. "If there are any alumni that want to know what is going on, this is a great way for them to see what's going on."
Mashburn said the old website dated back to October 2010, and it was time for a new look.
"We wanted a new look that would draw people in," Mashburn said. "People were used to the same old thing every day and we did a little something different to get their attention."
Mashburn not only drew ideas from the staff, but he also looked at other websites, he said.
"I looked at other sites College Publisher had designed in the past and got ideas from that, while working with Mariah on the mast head," Mashburn said. "I arranged the website all together and sent it to College Publisher. There was a little bit of back and forth and eventually we got where we wanted to be."
In order to get more students to visit the website, Powell said she plans to promote it in the paper.
"Along with promoting the website we will promote Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest," Powell said. "We want to get more student involvement and add more pictures so it will catch people's attention. We also want to make the paper more accessible and give our readers something to look forward to every week."
Mashburn said he sends out e-mail additions of the paper every Friday to those who subscribed.
"Right now we are at 1,212 subscribers on the e-mail paper subscriptions," Mashburn said.
Mashburn said he has a few ideas for future additions to the website.
"Flickr will become a big thing next semester," he said. "There has always been talk of blogs and of course the podcast will still be there. We are just trying to get everything we were originally doing back up and running."
Powell said Mashburn has done a great job with working on the website and other online activities.
"I think that Riley has done good keeping up with everything; designing new pages and making a completely new design," Powell said. "The staff thanks Riley for being a great tech man."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Families to gather for campus-wide activities
- Rambelles keep a clear head in their winning streak
- Chop Busters, a way to drum up some muscle
- Artistry of all forms welcome to campus club
- Physics major goes to Switzerland with hopes to answer mysteries of the universe
- Korean student sees difference in US communication
- Students challenge themselves and make new friends
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
- Career in Sales Can Satisfy an Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Lighting Tips for Your Media Room
- The High Price of Health Care Illiteracy
- More Americans Choose Chiropractic Care: Gallup
- Is the Controversy Around Carrageenan Warranted?
- Limited Space, Big Love: Solutions for Cat Lovers in...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games
- Golden Door Scholars Expands Reach of College Scholarship Program for High-Performing Undocumented Students
- INTRODUCING: PAY YOUR SELFIE™, THE FIRST APP THAT PAYS CASH TO ANYONE FOR SELFIES