'Belles look to extend streak against West Texas A&M
‘Belles hope to keep the winning streak alive
International Education Week will begin Sunday, Nov. 13 with the International Students Annual Banquet and Talent Show from 4 to 7 p.m. in the C.J. Davidson Center. Pam Belcher
The 'Belles broke a three-game losing streak with Wednesday's 54-47 win over Eastern New Mexico University, and they quest to continue their streak in their next game against the West Texas A&M Lady Buffalos.
The 'Belles last faced the Lady Buffalos last December in their Alzheimer's Awareness game at the Junell Center and won in double overtime 77-71 to make their record 3-3.
Now at 8-10, the 'Belles need another win over the Lady Buffalos to help their chances at making the Lone Star Conference Tournament.
The 'Belles are ranked sixth in both points scored per game (61.8) and points allowed per game (60.8) going into their match up against the 11-9 Lady Buffalos.
The Lady Buffalos are ranked fourth in points scored per game (65.4) and are second in points allowed per game (58.8).
In the December match-up between the 'Belles and the Lady Buffalos, the Lady Buffalos got off to a quick start and jumped ahead 13-5 at one point, but the 'Belles managed to battle back to end the first half with a score of 37-32 in favor of the Lady Buffalos.
The 'Belles came to tie the game 58-58 after sophomore forward Haylee Oliver scored 11 second half points including the two game-tying free throws.
The 'Belles gave the Lady Buffalos a steady diet of Oliver and junior guard Leah LeMaire throughout the game as both players scored 24 points each.
Sophomore Cassi Stegall chipped in 12 points and after, a second overtime with ten team points, the 'Belles defeated the Lady Buffalos.
The 'Belles could try their original successful strategy and use outside shooters like LeMaire and Oliver to defeat the Lady Buffalos or they could change course and feed the ball to the 6'3 center/power forward junior Lauren Holt.
Holt, the team's leading scorer, had one point in the first match up while her average over the season has been 11.9 points per game for a total of 203 total points.
Holt's also scored double-digit points in 11 games this year and in eight of the last nine.
The main question though isn't how the 'Belles can win, but will they win.
That question will be answered on Saturday, Feb. 2, at 4 p.m. at West Texas A&M University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates