Rams head to Lone Star Conference tournament to face Cameron University
Rams win final home game
After a season closure on Saturday, March 1, the Rams defeated Texas A&M Kingsville in a tough battle 53-41.
Ending with 18-8 overall and an 8-6 conference record, the Rams have their sights set on the Lone Star Conference (LSC).
"It was a big game for us," Head Coach Chris Beard said. "We told our guys that our post season was starting a week early, and we felt like Kingsville was a great way to get some momentum going into this tournament."
The Rams were outscored by three points in the first half but prevailed in the second half. They then outscored Kingsville by nine points with a finishing victory.
"We had a goal to go down there and win," sophomore Nash Nelson said. "We went down there and got the job done, and hopefully that will get us going in the conference tournament."
The Rams are now preparing for upcoming games by continuing to make adjustments and growing stronger as a team.
"We are just going to try to keep doing what we do," Nelson said. " No one play is more important than another one. We are going to try and stay in the moment and take it one play at a time."
Beard said the team is getting back to the basics before they head to the Allen Events Center for their first game in the LSC.
"All of the teams in the conference have a little bit of time to practice and maybe put in a new wrinkle or two," Beard said. "We are trying to be the best team we can."
Senior Ryan Marsh said he is ready to begin conference play and wants to take another crack at Tarleton State University during the LSC.
"The conference is so tough and balanced, and in my opinion, there is not a good draw or bad draw in the tournament," Beard said. "It is just a matter of going out there and playing."
The first game of the LSC was Thursday, March 6, where the Rams took on Cameron University.
The tournament holds a total of eight teams. This means that one team will have to win three games to win the championship.
"To me, the teams that win are the teams that play smart, play together and execute," Beard said.
***Editor's Note: Thursday's game stats were not included in this article due to conflict with Ram Page press and game time. Stats can be found on the ASU Athletic homepage.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT