Mardi Gras Celebration
Celebration to help raise money for organization
Junior Claire Molina pitches Friday against Southeastern Oklahoma. Ashley Romo
The 14th annual Mardi Gras celebration successfully raised money for Meals for the Elderly Tuesday night.
The event is one of three held by the organization to raise funds to help provide hot meals to over 600 homebound elderly clients every weekday.
The celebration included food, live music, a photo booth, door prizes, silent auctions, bingo, a Texas Hold 'Em tournament ,and plenty of volunteers to help run the event.
The volunteers included freshman Dalton Williams, who volunteered with other ASU students in Lamda Chi Alpha.
"The people are really nice, and everyone seems to be having a lot of fun," Williams said, shuttling guests to and from their vehicles to the door in a golf cart.
Volunteer Director Leann Criswell said she appreciates all the help including students from ASU.
"We hope to instill with ASU students the idea that we're fun to work with and introduce them to our needs here in the organization," Criswell said. "[Meals for the Elderly] is, to my knowledge, the only organization where there's really something for everyone to help with."
Criswell said that positions are not just limited to delivering meals to clients' homes.
"The really young kids who are three years old can color bags for client's meals, and we have a pet food program that allows [volunteers] to take pet food for our clients' animals," Criswell said.
March is also National Senior Hunger Awareness Month, so the event allowed the organization to spread awareness through the festivities as well.
Other events held by Meals for the Elderly include a clay bird shoot on June 1 and a Christmas open house on Dec. 8.
Criswell said the organization hopes to raise $50,000 in each event to continue providing meals to clients.
Students interested in volunteering should visit mealsfortheelderly.org for details.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership