Mardi Gras Celebration
Celebration to help raise money for organization
Junior Claire Molina pitches Friday against Southeastern Oklahoma. Ashley Romo
The 14th annual Mardi Gras celebration successfully raised money for Meals for the Elderly Tuesday night.
The event is one of three held by the organization to raise funds to help provide hot meals to over 600 homebound elderly clients every weekday.
The celebration included food, live music, a photo booth, door prizes, silent auctions, bingo, a Texas Hold 'Em tournament ,and plenty of volunteers to help run the event.
The volunteers included freshman Dalton Williams, who volunteered with other ASU students in Lamda Chi Alpha.
"The people are really nice, and everyone seems to be having a lot of fun," Williams said, shuttling guests to and from their vehicles to the door in a golf cart.
Volunteer Director Leann Criswell said she appreciates all the help including students from ASU.
"We hope to instill with ASU students the idea that we're fun to work with and introduce them to our needs here in the organization," Criswell said. "[Meals for the Elderly] is, to my knowledge, the only organization where there's really something for everyone to help with."
Criswell said that positions are not just limited to delivering meals to clients' homes.
"The really young kids who are three years old can color bags for client's meals, and we have a pet food program that allows [volunteers] to take pet food for our clients' animals," Criswell said.
March is also National Senior Hunger Awareness Month, so the event allowed the organization to spread awareness through the festivities as well.
Other events held by Meals for the Elderly include a clay bird shoot on June 1 and a Christmas open house on Dec. 8.
Criswell said the organization hopes to raise $50,000 in each event to continue providing meals to clients.
Students interested in volunteering should visit mealsfortheelderly.org for details.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates