Transfer Days give students a look into ASU
Admissions puts more focus on transfer students
ASU Transfer Days, an event designed for prospective transfer students, will be Friday, March 7, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Students will be able to learn more about ASU and resources it offers.
"There will be sessions pertaining to general admission requirement, scholarships and financial aid," Transfer Coordinator Amanda Ritchie said. "Also, several students have identified that they would like to meet with an academic adviser from their academic department on the day they are here."
Assistant Director of Admissions Kerri Mikulik said transfer days had not been offered in the past. The admissions office created ASU Transfer Days to target transfer students and address their needs.
"The reason that we wanted to start offering them was because we have a lot of recruitment events that are on campus aimed at high school students," Mikulik said. "We really haven't targeted anything at transfer students, so we wanted to give them the opportunity to come see our campus, talk with advisers and find out about how their courses might transfer before they decide to come to ASU."
Mikulik said there are approximately 60 campuses that the admissions office reaches out to.
"I knew a few people who went to ASU, and once I learned more information about the campus, I knew it would be a good fit for me, and ASU offered what I wanted to study," prospective transfer student Jose Estrada said.
ASU Transfer Days is an initiative for the admissions office to put part of its focus on recruiting transfer students for ASU.
"Transfer students have very specific needs, so we want to have these more often and keep them smaller so we can address each student personally," she said.
Ritchie said, not only will the student be able to get their admission questions answered, they will also be able receive an admission decision that day.
"If the student has completed the application process prior to coming to the event and has submitted all of their transcripts, we can do an evaluation and provide them with an admission decision," Ritchie said. "Students can bring any missing transcripts that day and we can evaluate those transcripts and then still provide them with an admission decision. The student will still get a letter in the mail, but we are going to do our best to take care of those who complete that day."
In addition to different resources offered, there have been new scholarships implemented specifically for transfer students, Mikulik said.
"Having scholarships and additional help available for only transfer students is very beneficial because it allows the student to feel more relaxed about [his or her] decision," Estrada said.
Mikulik said there were a total of 241 transfer students who were newly admitted students. The admissions team hopes to have more events like this and get more students to come check out ASU.
"We are expecting them to get bigger and bigger," she said. "We never expect them to be a huge event because we would like to keep them a little smaller and more personable."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- SGA the largest student senate ASU has seen in years
- Coach Wagner maintains high hopes for the Ram’s season
- Jet Ski accident results in loss of student
- History was made in the LGBT Community
- Rambelles prepare for first game, determined to beat Adams State
- Volleyball team is hungry for victory
- University mourns the loss of defensive back, Christian Taylor
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Five Tips for Making Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home
- Tinder Reveals Top 50 U.S. College Campuses with Most Popular Men and Women
- Little Known Tips to Pay Less at College Bookstores
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE