Agriculture center to provide hands-on training
Classes have begun at center
Richard Mayer, Norm Rousselot, and Edwin Mayer cut the ribbon Monday, March 3, in honor of the new Mayer-Rousselot Agriculture Education Center located at the ASU Management, Instruction and Research Center (MIR).
The building was named for the Mayer-Rousselot family, who donated more than half of the construction cost.
"I am looking forward to the new building and getting the hands-on experience," junior Tait Cooper said.
Plans and fundraising began for the building three years ago, and construction finally began in January 2013.
There will be three different classes held in the building, which include Small Gas Engines, Ag Structures and Technology, and a welding class.
"There are currently 51 students majoring in Agricultural Science Leadership," Assistant Professor of Agriculture Will Dickison, PhD. said. "Nine students have graduated from ASU with a degree in Agricultural Science Leadership and are currently teaching all over Texas.
This building will help students with a desire to teach young people agriculture get the kind of hands-on experience they need. Currently, the agriculture department has a 100 percent pass rate for the certifying exam for the Agriculture Certification."
Several speakers, including Jamie Akin, executive director of Development and Alumni Relations, President Dr. Brian J. May, State Representative Drew Darby, and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Dr. Paul Swets attended the ceremony.
"My family has a long history of supporting ASU, and there was a need for this building," donor Steve Mayer said.
Lab in the new building began in January and the students started welding toward the end of February.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists