Agriculture center to provide hands-on training
Classes have begun at center
Richard Mayer, Norm Rousselot, and Edwin Mayer cut the ribbon Monday, March 3, in honor of the new Mayer-Rousselot Agriculture Education Center located at the ASU Management, Instruction and Research Center (MIR).
The building was named for the Mayer-Rousselot family, who donated more than half of the construction cost.
"I am looking forward to the new building and getting the hands-on experience," junior Tait Cooper said.
Plans and fundraising began for the building three years ago, and construction finally began in January 2013.
There will be three different classes held in the building, which include Small Gas Engines, Ag Structures and Technology, and a welding class.
"There are currently 51 students majoring in Agricultural Science Leadership," Assistant Professor of Agriculture Will Dickison, PhD. said. "Nine students have graduated from ASU with a degree in Agricultural Science Leadership and are currently teaching all over Texas.
This building will help students with a desire to teach young people agriculture get the kind of hands-on experience they need. Currently, the agriculture department has a 100 percent pass rate for the certifying exam for the Agriculture Certification."
Several speakers, including Jamie Akin, executive director of Development and Alumni Relations, President Dr. Brian J. May, State Representative Drew Darby, and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Dr. Paul Swets attended the ceremony.
"My family has a long history of supporting ASU, and there was a need for this building," donor Steve Mayer said.
Lab in the new building began in January and the students started welding toward the end of February.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
- Celebra una fiesta de Posadas inolvidable para tu familia...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities