Agriculture center to provide hands-on training
Classes have begun at center
Richard Mayer, Norm Rousselot, and Edwin Mayer cut the ribbon Monday, March 3, in honor of the new Mayer-Rousselot Agriculture Education Center located at the ASU Management, Instruction and Research Center (MIR).
The building was named for the Mayer-Rousselot family, who donated more than half of the construction cost.
"I am looking forward to the new building and getting the hands-on experience," junior Tait Cooper said.
Plans and fundraising began for the building three years ago, and construction finally began in January 2013.
There will be three different classes held in the building, which include Small Gas Engines, Ag Structures and Technology, and a welding class.
"There are currently 51 students majoring in Agricultural Science Leadership," Assistant Professor of Agriculture Will Dickison, PhD. said. "Nine students have graduated from ASU with a degree in Agricultural Science Leadership and are currently teaching all over Texas.
This building will help students with a desire to teach young people agriculture get the kind of hands-on experience they need. Currently, the agriculture department has a 100 percent pass rate for the certifying exam for the Agriculture Certification."
Several speakers, including Jamie Akin, executive director of Development and Alumni Relations, President Dr. Brian J. May, State Representative Drew Darby, and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Dr. Paul Swets attended the ceremony.
"My family has a long history of supporting ASU, and there was a need for this building," donor Steve Mayer said.
Lab in the new building began in January and the students started welding toward the end of February.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge