Carnival kicks off local Stock Show and Rodeo
Stock Show and Rodeo continues to be amaze after 80 years
Possible Senior gifts ideas include an engraved bench like the one pictured outside of the Academnic Building. Ashley Romo
The annual San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo continues to draw in large crowds as it enters its second weekend.
"We have tons of the community that come out here," stock show and rodeo Marketing Director Tom Thompson said. "Over our three week period we will run about 150,000 to 170,000 people through the gates."
Thompson said the agriculture department at ASU is very involved with the show and provides judges, helps and assists with nearly all of the livestock show events.
"This is a very busy season for us and, our agriculture students volunteer to help with agriculture literacy events and livestock showing events for K-12 grades," Assistant Professor of animal science Kirk Braden said. "The stock show and rodeo helps us to come in contact with large amounts of students, parents and people interested in animals."
The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo Association began hosting this event in the 1930s.
The Coliseum was built in 1959 and it has been home to the stock show and rodeo for a majority of its lifespan, Thompson said.
The association is dedicated to hosting events that draw a vast majority of people into San Angelo, according to www.sanangelorodeo.com.
"We are the largest economic impact to San Angelo and the surrounding community," Thompson said. "The whole fairgrounds brings about $24 to $26 million a year in economic business."
Thompson said the San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo is possibly the fifth largest in the nation, beating Houston, San Antonio and Austin.
"We are the largest contestant rodeo in the PRCA," Thompson said. "We are a very prestigious rodeo. There is a lot of [honor] if you win on San Angelo dirt."
At this year's event there will be a different shows throughout the time the stock show and rodeo is in town, Thompson said.
"We will have 1199 rodeo contestants and 10 performances at the rodeo starting Feb. 14 and finishing Feb. 23," Thompson said. "Our livestock show will bring over 5,000 livestock exhibitors to San Angelo with their families to do over 11,000 entries. Some of the entries include; sheep, goat, pig, cattle, horses, lamas, chicken, and rabbits. There will also be a carnival that covers three weekends."
The stock show and rodeo will continue to run until Feb. 24. Thompson said he encourages everyone to check out what the event has to offer.
"The rodeo is action packed, fast-paced, and national finals quality," Thompson said. "We take it very seriously and run it as professionally as we can. If you haven't been to our rodeo, you won't understand it until you leave."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections