Carnival kicks off local Stock Show and Rodeo
Stock Show and Rodeo continues to be amaze after 80 years
Possible Senior gifts ideas include an engraved bench like the one pictured outside of the Academnic Building. Ashley Romo
The annual San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo continues to draw in large crowds as it enters its second weekend.
"We have tons of the community that come out here," stock show and rodeo Marketing Director Tom Thompson said. "Over our three week period we will run about 150,000 to 170,000 people through the gates."
Thompson said the agriculture department at ASU is very involved with the show and provides judges, helps and assists with nearly all of the livestock show events.
"This is a very busy season for us and, our agriculture students volunteer to help with agriculture literacy events and livestock showing events for K-12 grades," Assistant Professor of animal science Kirk Braden said. "The stock show and rodeo helps us to come in contact with large amounts of students, parents and people interested in animals."
The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo Association began hosting this event in the 1930s.
The Coliseum was built in 1959 and it has been home to the stock show and rodeo for a majority of its lifespan, Thompson said.
The association is dedicated to hosting events that draw a vast majority of people into San Angelo, according to www.sanangelorodeo.com.
"We are the largest economic impact to San Angelo and the surrounding community," Thompson said. "The whole fairgrounds brings about $24 to $26 million a year in economic business."
Thompson said the San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo is possibly the fifth largest in the nation, beating Houston, San Antonio and Austin.
"We are the largest contestant rodeo in the PRCA," Thompson said. "We are a very prestigious rodeo. There is a lot of [honor] if you win on San Angelo dirt."
At this year's event there will be a different shows throughout the time the stock show and rodeo is in town, Thompson said.
"We will have 1199 rodeo contestants and 10 performances at the rodeo starting Feb. 14 and finishing Feb. 23," Thompson said. "Our livestock show will bring over 5,000 livestock exhibitors to San Angelo with their families to do over 11,000 entries. Some of the entries include; sheep, goat, pig, cattle, horses, lamas, chicken, and rabbits. There will also be a carnival that covers three weekends."
The stock show and rodeo will continue to run until Feb. 24. Thompson said he encourages everyone to check out what the event has to offer.
"The rodeo is action packed, fast-paced, and national finals quality," Thompson said. "We take it very seriously and run it as professionally as we can. If you haven't been to our rodeo, you won't understand it until you leave."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Prevent Water Damage And Cut Insurance Costs
- How to Sit Through a Movie in Comfort
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'