Romo, Perez elected
Student vote: Concealed handguns voted down
Eight hundred and eighty-two students voted. Ram Page
Voting trends for 2010-2011 elections. Ram Page
Hector Romo and Vincent Perez won the vote for student body president and vice president Wednesday night by 57.5 percent.
Eight hundred and eighty-two students voted.
Perez said he was pumped about winning and ready to move forward.
Romo plans to do that by completing the projects he started as vice president with former Student Body President Austin Osmanski.
In this election, 67.4 percent of the students who voted chose to not allow concealed handguns on campus. The newly elected student senators will write their recommendation to Representative Drew Darby, Romo said.
The duo plans to fill the senate seats, a goal Romo set during his tenure as vice president.
Romo said they plan to continue to increase SGA's transparency and promote the True Blue campaign.
"Come talk to me whenever," Romo said. He said he also plans to fill the student spots in the Student Fee Committee and other such committees.
"The students in those positions are good students, but they aren't the type of students we need," Romo said. "We want outgoing students."
He said he wants students to understand why they pay those fees.
The student body voted in 12 senators, and the new student senate will meet Monday at 5 p.m. with President of the Senate Vincent Perez. A single senator needed five votes to take office.
Will Boaz and Laura Perez won 34.1 percent of the student vote with 293 votes.
Sixty-nine students voted for Jessica Shepard and Will Franke, making up eight percent of the vote.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards