Proposed bill sparks debates in SGA meeting
Bill regards executive position requirement
At the Student Government Association's meeting Monday, a proposed bill sparked debate, in which it calls for changes to the student body constitution, as well as new regulations for those running for an executive officer position.
According to the student body constitution in Article Three, Chapter Three, "no person shall apply for candidacy of Angelo State University Student Body President or Vice President who has not completed a minimum of twelve semester hours in residence with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0, and enrolls and maintains a minimum of twelve semester hours during term of office, or who is a graduate student enrolled in a minimum of nine semester hours with a minimum grade point average of 3.0, unless the elected President or Vice President is graduating at the end of the current semester or participating in a student teaching program, in which case the minimal semester hour requirement is excused."
Morgan Visk, SGA Parliamentarian, proposed a bill that would require anyone pursuing an executive position to have been a member of SGA at ASU for two semesters.
Eligible candidates must also have completed 48 hours in residency with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and maintain twelve hours a semester with a GPA of 3.0, he said.
Sen. Duncan Knox proposed a motion that would cause the bill to not take effect until the 2014 election season instead of the 2013 election season because he said he feels this would better aid the students in preparing for the new requirements and give any non-SGA members a chance to get in and gain the required experience to run for executive office.
Sen. Jared Goecker opposed the proposed bill because he said it is unfair to prohibit freshman from running for an executive office.
Because of the amount of opposition the proposed bill is facing, it will be referred back to the Judiciary and Rules committee for further discussion.
"While an underclassman may possess the necessary skills and characteristics to be successful as an SGA president or vice president, skills and characteristics only amount for a portion of the qualifications necessary," Sen. Hunter Morris said. "The other necessary qualifications, such as campus familiarity and relationships with the faculty and staff on campus, require a significant amount of time and dedication to establish. A minimum credit hour requirement is necessary to provide adequate time to establish campus familiarity and relationships, while ensuring an individual is prepared to grapple with the substantial amount of added responsibility."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video