Proposed bill sparks debates in SGA meeting
Bill regards executive position requirement
At the Student Government Association's meeting Monday, a proposed bill sparked debate, in which it calls for changes to the student body constitution, as well as new regulations for those running for an executive officer position.
According to the student body constitution in Article Three, Chapter Three, "no person shall apply for candidacy of Angelo State University Student Body President or Vice President who has not completed a minimum of twelve semester hours in residence with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0, and enrolls and maintains a minimum of twelve semester hours during term of office, or who is a graduate student enrolled in a minimum of nine semester hours with a minimum grade point average of 3.0, unless the elected President or Vice President is graduating at the end of the current semester or participating in a student teaching program, in which case the minimal semester hour requirement is excused."
Morgan Visk, SGA Parliamentarian, proposed a bill that would require anyone pursuing an executive position to have been a member of SGA at ASU for two semesters.
Eligible candidates must also have completed 48 hours in residency with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and maintain twelve hours a semester with a GPA of 3.0, he said.
Sen. Duncan Knox proposed a motion that would cause the bill to not take effect until the 2014 election season instead of the 2013 election season because he said he feels this would better aid the students in preparing for the new requirements and give any non-SGA members a chance to get in and gain the required experience to run for executive office.
Sen. Jared Goecker opposed the proposed bill because he said it is unfair to prohibit freshman from running for an executive office.
Because of the amount of opposition the proposed bill is facing, it will be referred back to the Judiciary and Rules committee for further discussion.
"While an underclassman may possess the necessary skills and characteristics to be successful as an SGA president or vice president, skills and characteristics only amount for a portion of the qualifications necessary," Sen. Hunter Morris said. "The other necessary qualifications, such as campus familiarity and relationships with the faculty and staff on campus, require a significant amount of time and dedication to establish. A minimum credit hour requirement is necessary to provide adequate time to establish campus familiarity and relationships, while ensuring an individual is prepared to grapple with the substantial amount of added responsibility."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS