Proposed bill sparks debates in SGA meeting
Bill regards executive position requirement
At the Student Government Association's meeting Monday, a proposed bill sparked debate, in which it calls for changes to the student body constitution, as well as new regulations for those running for an executive officer position.
According to the student body constitution in Article Three, Chapter Three, "no person shall apply for candidacy of Angelo State University Student Body President or Vice President who has not completed a minimum of twelve semester hours in residence with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0, and enrolls and maintains a minimum of twelve semester hours during term of office, or who is a graduate student enrolled in a minimum of nine semester hours with a minimum grade point average of 3.0, unless the elected President or Vice President is graduating at the end of the current semester or participating in a student teaching program, in which case the minimal semester hour requirement is excused."
Morgan Visk, SGA Parliamentarian, proposed a bill that would require anyone pursuing an executive position to have been a member of SGA at ASU for two semesters.
Eligible candidates must also have completed 48 hours in residency with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and maintain twelve hours a semester with a GPA of 3.0, he said.
Sen. Duncan Knox proposed a motion that would cause the bill to not take effect until the 2014 election season instead of the 2013 election season because he said he feels this would better aid the students in preparing for the new requirements and give any non-SGA members a chance to get in and gain the required experience to run for executive office.
Sen. Jared Goecker opposed the proposed bill because he said it is unfair to prohibit freshman from running for an executive office.
Because of the amount of opposition the proposed bill is facing, it will be referred back to the Judiciary and Rules committee for further discussion.
"While an underclassman may possess the necessary skills and characteristics to be successful as an SGA president or vice president, skills and characteristics only amount for a portion of the qualifications necessary," Sen. Hunter Morris said. "The other necessary qualifications, such as campus familiarity and relationships with the faculty and staff on campus, require a significant amount of time and dedication to establish. A minimum credit hour requirement is necessary to provide adequate time to establish campus familiarity and relationships, while ensuring an individual is prepared to grapple with the substantial amount of added responsibility."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!