Proposed bill sparks debates in SGA meeting
Bill regards executive position requirement
At the Student Government Association's meeting Monday, a proposed bill sparked debate, in which it calls for changes to the student body constitution, as well as new regulations for those running for an executive officer position.
According to the student body constitution in Article Three, Chapter Three, "no person shall apply for candidacy of Angelo State University Student Body President or Vice President who has not completed a minimum of twelve semester hours in residence with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0, and enrolls and maintains a minimum of twelve semester hours during term of office, or who is a graduate student enrolled in a minimum of nine semester hours with a minimum grade point average of 3.0, unless the elected President or Vice President is graduating at the end of the current semester or participating in a student teaching program, in which case the minimal semester hour requirement is excused."
Morgan Visk, SGA Parliamentarian, proposed a bill that would require anyone pursuing an executive position to have been a member of SGA at ASU for two semesters.
Eligible candidates must also have completed 48 hours in residency with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and maintain twelve hours a semester with a GPA of 3.0, he said.
Sen. Duncan Knox proposed a motion that would cause the bill to not take effect until the 2014 election season instead of the 2013 election season because he said he feels this would better aid the students in preparing for the new requirements and give any non-SGA members a chance to get in and gain the required experience to run for executive office.
Sen. Jared Goecker opposed the proposed bill because he said it is unfair to prohibit freshman from running for an executive office.
Because of the amount of opposition the proposed bill is facing, it will be referred back to the Judiciary and Rules committee for further discussion.
"While an underclassman may possess the necessary skills and characteristics to be successful as an SGA president or vice president, skills and characteristics only amount for a portion of the qualifications necessary," Sen. Hunter Morris said. "The other necessary qualifications, such as campus familiarity and relationships with the faculty and staff on campus, require a significant amount of time and dedication to establish. A minimum credit hour requirement is necessary to provide adequate time to establish campus familiarity and relationships, while ensuring an individual is prepared to grapple with the substantial amount of added responsibility."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Softball seniors go out with a bang at their last home game
- German club hosts Walpurgis Night, all are invited
- Student chooses ASU for the small time feel, scholarships and smiling faces
- Athlete from Hamlin, Texas, picks ASU for track experience
- PIKE gets risqué for a good cause
- Famous paleontologist talks to students about his discovery of an extinct fish
- Drop and Shop sale benefits Concho Valley PAWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!