Ram Page wins multiple awards at TIPA convention
Staff hopes to continue improvement
Ram Page was recognized April 12 at the annual Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) convention in San Antonio and won 11 awards for its work during spring 2013 and fall 2013.
"The best part about competing was really not competing," photographer and first place winner sophomore Marsalis Mahome said. "It had just slipped my mind that last semester, we sent in our work for the year, so I was totally shocked when I did find out how well we did. It's an amazing feeling, a blessing, actually. I couldn't have done it without taking Photography I last semester."
Mahome said it would not have been possible without the help of the other photographers.
Mahome's winning photo was one that immediately had the most visual appeal with its color and composition, according to the judges' comments.
"Some things I learned were to always challenge myself to be creative, use the skills from my art and photography classes, and keep photography fun," Mahome said. "Every picture should tell a story."
Adam Sauceda won second place for his sports action photo and third place for his sports feature photo. Mariah Powell placed third for an illustration. Victoria Lacy's feature story received third place.
Ram Page's single subject design, page one design, general column, ad design and editorial garnered five honorable mentions.
"The Ram Page team is awesome and a great team, like the Justice League or Avengers," Mahome said. "We all make it our goals to perform our own duties to the best of our abilities."
Mahome said the Ram Page staff will continue to do its best in trying to create an enjoyable paper for the students.
"At Ram Page each week, we look to find ways to better our paper, and we always try and perfect our craft," Mahome said.
Editor-in-chief sophomore Allison Price said she feels some pressure to continue to improve after winning the awards.
"I absolutely feel more pressure to do better each semester," Price said. "I know that we can get better ... and that is what we strive to do each semester. As an editor, you want to make the best paper you can every week."
Price said she believes the next steps for Ram Page are to gain more readers and get people more involved.
"We already have a large group that reads the paper, but we always want to increase," Price said. "Another step is to get more people involved with the Ram Page staff. I hope that Ram Page will get bigger and better in the future."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Softball seniors go out with a bang at their last home game
- German club hosts Walpurgis Night, all are invited
- Student chooses ASU for the small time feel, scholarships and smiling faces
- Athlete from Hamlin, Texas, picks ASU for track experience
- PIKE gets risqué for a good cause
- Famous paleontologist talks to students about his discovery of an extinct fish
- Drop and Shop sale benefits Concho Valley PAWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!