Ram Page wins multiple awards at TIPA convention
Staff hopes to continue improvement
Ram Page was recognized April 12 at the annual Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) convention in San Antonio and won 11 awards for its work during spring 2013 and fall 2013.
"The best part about competing was really not competing," photographer and first place winner sophomore Marsalis Mahome said. "It had just slipped my mind that last semester, we sent in our work for the year, so I was totally shocked when I did find out how well we did. It's an amazing feeling, a blessing, actually. I couldn't have done it without taking Photography I last semester."
Mahome said it would not have been possible without the help of the other photographers.
Mahome's winning photo was one that immediately had the most visual appeal with its color and composition, according to the judges' comments.
"Some things I learned were to always challenge myself to be creative, use the skills from my art and photography classes, and keep photography fun," Mahome said. "Every picture should tell a story."
Adam Sauceda won second place for his sports action photo and third place for his sports feature photo. Mariah Powell placed third for an illustration. Victoria Lacy's feature story received third place.
Ram Page's single subject design, page one design, general column, ad design and editorial garnered five honorable mentions.
"The Ram Page team is awesome and a great team, like the Justice League or Avengers," Mahome said. "We all make it our goals to perform our own duties to the best of our abilities."
Mahome said the Ram Page staff will continue to do its best in trying to create an enjoyable paper for the students.
"At Ram Page each week, we look to find ways to better our paper, and we always try and perfect our craft," Mahome said.
Editor-in-chief sophomore Allison Price said she feels some pressure to continue to improve after winning the awards.
"I absolutely feel more pressure to do better each semester," Price said. "I know that we can get better ... and that is what we strive to do each semester. As an editor, you want to make the best paper you can every week."
Price said she believes the next steps for Ram Page are to gain more readers and get people more involved.
"We already have a large group that reads the paper, but we always want to increase," Price said. "Another step is to get more people involved with the Ram Page staff. I hope that Ram Page will get bigger and better in the future."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Know Which Plumbing Projects Need a Pro
- Light Up Your Landscaping Like a Pro
- Manage Emergency Plumbing Leaks With Ease
- How to Protect Pets From Fleas and Ticks
- Key Ingredients for a Healthy Heart
- Spring Cleaning Made Easy to Help Tackle Inanimate Allergens
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards