Wegner named Ram Page Editor-in-Chief
Wegner looking forward to opportunity
Junior Sydney Wegner has been named Ram Page editor-in-chief for 2014-2015.
Pursuing a career in photography, Wegner said she has a few ideas of changes she would like to apply to Ram Page.
"Something that I'm hoping to change is I actually want people to pick up it up and read it," Wegner said. "I just want to find some way to make it more visually appealing. I'm a picture person, so I want to add more pictures."
Wegner said she feels capable to take on this position because of her past experiences, which include being an editor for her high school yearbook, being involved with photography, and taking news reporting classes.
"Sydney seems to be a hard worker, motivated, teachable, and well rounded," Ram Page adviser Dr. Cathy Johnson said. "She has a pleasing personality and seems to work well with others, which is crucial to this position."
A native of Wall, Texas, Wegner said she is happy to have chosen ASU as her school.
"I really like San Angelo, and I think it's a good town," Wegner said. "When I came here, it was comfortable because I knew a lot of people already, so it wasn't such a huge transition."
Aside from the excitement of taking on this role, Wegner said she has two concerns: stress and recruitment.
"It is a huge responsibility," Johnson said. "Every year is different, with its own set of challenges. In some respects, serving as editor-in-chief is like taking a final comprehensive exam with no idea what to study for because we don't know what might surface next year, either content-wise or staff-wise."
Wegner sought the editor-in-chief position to prepare herself for future job responsibilities.
"I think it will look really good on a resume, and also I think there will be a lot of good experience in learning how to deal with my own team and produce a newspaper every week," Wegner said.
Johnson said Wegner will gain a better understanding of the media business while in the position.
"Ultimately, at the end of her tenure as editor, I know Sydney will be a different person in some respects," Johnson said. "She will have insight into interpersonal communication that she would not have without having served as Ram Page editor."
Johnson said about a dozen positions on the Ram Page staff are available.
Individuals can still apply even if they are not mass media or communication majors.
"All positions are open, and they're paid, so come and work for me at the Ram Page," Wegner said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards