Rams receive good rankings after last weekend's games
Rams add two wins to record
The Rams baseball team secured two out of three wins against West Texas A&M Friday, April 18, and Saturday, April 19.
In the series opener on Friday, the Rams won 8-7.
The Rams took on West Texas at the beginning of the season in a four-game series and lost all games.
ASU had nine hits and four errors in the field in game one.
In the bottom of the first inning, freshman JP Zapata started the inning with a walk and would score on a triple by sophomore David Goggin.
Goggin scored on a single from junior Derek Tyner. This put the Rams in the lead at 2-1.
Junior Blake Bass pitched a scoreless second and third inning.
West Texas scored a run in the fourth and fifth innings and took the lead. No runs were made in the sixth inning, but the Rams came back strong in the seventh inning.
Senior Tyler Coughenour was hit by a pitch in the bottom of the seventh, allowing him a walk.
Junior Brett David was also hit by a pitch, which sent him down to first base.
Zapata brought Coughenour home after a single hit to the middle of the infield.
Goggin followed Zapata with a run-scoring single, which tied the game 4-4.
Tyner hit a single, which brought the score to 5-4. The Rams then added one more run bring the score to 6-4.
Angelo State did not score any runs in the eighth inning, but West Texas was able to score three runs.
The Buffs were unable to rack up more runs in the ninth inning, putting an end to game one.
After their win on Friday, the Rams took the mound for a doubleheader.
In game one, the teams played eight innings, coming out on top with a score of 10-8.
Coughenour hit a homerun, which brought in three runs in the extra inning, and lifted the team to the win.
In the second game on Saturday, the Rams came out with only one run and lost the final game in the series.
The Rams did not score in game two until the second inning.
They did not score during the rest of the game.
The Rams are now in third place after these three games, according to the Lone Star Conference standings.
On Wednesday, April 23, the NCAA Division II South Central regional rankings were released. ASU sits at No. 6. The Rams are overall 25-19.
The Rams have ended their home games and will be on the road for the rest of the season.
ASU will play Texas A&M University-Kingsville Friday, April 25, and Saturday, April 26, in Kingsville.
The Rams will end their season playing Eastern New Mexico University Friday, May 2, and Saturday, May 3, in Portales, N.M.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates