Russian art on display for Family Day at San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts
Display presents art from other side of globe
Freshman Sawyer Ricard will take over the Ram Page as the new Editor-In-Chief for 2012-2013. Pam Belcher
The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts is partnering with ASU and the University of Texas at Austin for November's Russian History Family Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 10, which will feature the Russian folk group, The Flying Balalaika Brothers.
The free performance will begin at 2 p.m. and will last about 45 minutes, according to the museum's Curator of Education Megan DiRienzo.
The Flying Balalaika Brothers - well-known in Austin - present "a blend of traditional world music and original musical pieces" according to the band's website.
The band features a number of traditional Russian instruments, including the balalaika, which is a triangle-shaped guitar, according to the band's website.
Foreign Exchange Student Evgeny Taranets, who is from Taganrog, Russia, said everyone can find something about Russian history that interests them depending on their preference.
"I was many times surprised at the number of Americans who knew about Russia and its history," Taranets said. "This is a nice opportunity to meet Russian culture abroad."
There will be a gallery scavenger hunt, free food and activities for all ages, DiRienzo said.
"Families are the target audience for these events, but it is not just for kids," DiRienzo said. "Anyone from the age of 2 to 100 will enjoy this event."
The gallery scavenger hunt makes sure that visitors explore the entire museum and not just participate in activities downstairs, DiRienzo said.
The museum will showcase real Russian works from private collections, DiRienzo said.
"We want to focus on how Catholic symbols are present in both Russian and Spanish colonial pieces," DiRienzo said.
The activities will take place at the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts at 1 Love Street. For more information, call the museum at (325) 653-3333.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities