Russian art on display for Family Day at San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts
Display presents art from other side of globe
Freshman Sawyer Ricard will take over the Ram Page as the new Editor-In-Chief for 2012-2013. Pam Belcher
The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts is partnering with ASU and the University of Texas at Austin for November's Russian History Family Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 10, which will feature the Russian folk group, The Flying Balalaika Brothers.
The free performance will begin at 2 p.m. and will last about 45 minutes, according to the museum's Curator of Education Megan DiRienzo.
The Flying Balalaika Brothers - well-known in Austin - present "a blend of traditional world music and original musical pieces" according to the band's website.
The band features a number of traditional Russian instruments, including the balalaika, which is a triangle-shaped guitar, according to the band's website.
Foreign Exchange Student Evgeny Taranets, who is from Taganrog, Russia, said everyone can find something about Russian history that interests them depending on their preference.
"I was many times surprised at the number of Americans who knew about Russia and its history," Taranets said. "This is a nice opportunity to meet Russian culture abroad."
There will be a gallery scavenger hunt, free food and activities for all ages, DiRienzo said.
"Families are the target audience for these events, but it is not just for kids," DiRienzo said. "Anyone from the age of 2 to 100 will enjoy this event."
The gallery scavenger hunt makes sure that visitors explore the entire museum and not just participate in activities downstairs, DiRienzo said.
The museum will showcase real Russian works from private collections, DiRienzo said.
"We want to focus on how Catholic symbols are present in both Russian and Spanish colonial pieces," DiRienzo said.
The activities will take place at the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts at 1 Love Street. For more information, call the museum at (325) 653-3333.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists