Candidates ready to work for SGA president and vice president spots
Goecker and Kushnereit ready to fight against controversial issues
Jared Goecker and Ross Kushnereit are the second pair of candidates on the ballot for SGA president and vice president.
Goecker said he is looking at controversial issues that hit home with students as the focus of their campaign.
"Something we are focusing on is student life and enhancing that," Goecker said. "I was reading a study, and it said STD rates in San Angelo have gone up 300 percent since 2012. That is a serious concern for students, and we would like to see a wider spread availability to contraceptives. It is kind of controversial, but that is kind of who Ross and I are. We look for a big problem, and we look for a big solution."
Goecker said the idea of having additional contraceptives should not be difficult because of the cause behind the issue.
"It shouldn't be too hard to get funding but it is the matter of getting the go-ahead," he said. "I think if we make a good enough case with the administration, say this is a health concern, and this is being done for the betterment of the students, then I think it will go over just fine."
In addition to looking into student life, Goecker said he has been throwing around the idea of a campus bar.
"We know ASU is a dry campus," Goecker said. "There is a lot of red tape and a lot of logistical problems with the issue but this would cut down on drunk driving. That alone won't carry it, but another thing is that it would be a great opportunity for organizations. One school had volunteers from the organizations bartend certain nights, and the money raised went back to organizations. We are willing to work on it, but I think that is something that a lot of students would love."
Another issue Goecker and Kushnereit want to tackle is the parking zone locations across campus.
"We just look around campus and think that there are so many things that could be done that are not being done," he said.
Both Goecker and Kushnereit said there is no transparency between SGA and other organizations. They want to work on the relationship between the two parties to get them better acquainted.
"If we come alongside them in different projects, then we could get a lot done," Goecker said. "We have the position of influence with administration and board of regents to get things done."
Kushnereit said the competition against opponents Frankhouser and DeBie is merely fun and there is no harm meant by it.
"Connor and I have been really good friends for a while," Kushnereit said. "Having two parties running will also increase voter turnout."
Goecker said their opponents are definitely a tough ticket, but the relationship between all candidates is good.
"Jenni is an incredibly talented person, and we are having a blast with this whole experience," Goecker said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards