First-generation students get a taste of college life
Workshops give students insight on different resources
First generation students are learning that college opportunity is a dream that can become a reality through the ASU First program.
The program offers information about the university to high school students that are considering becoming the first in their families to attend college.
"ASU First shows students that ASU is a viable choice for an affordable, high-quality, and close-to-home college experience," Assistant Director Erika Baeza said. "We want to make sure that they have the tools to succeed."
First generation students struggle with getting into college because they are unsure how to pay for it, undecided on what to study, or they feel they are not good enough for school, Baeza said.
The program is in its 5th year and has recruited 497 students from 19 different schools around the San Angelo area, Baeza said.
"We had to close registration because we were very close to maxing out at 500 students," she said.
ASU First is welcoming high school students Friday, Feb. 7 where they will tour ASU and experience some of the programs offered.
There will also be activity workshops that will explain how admissions, financial aid and career development work.
In addition, the activity workshops will explain what campus life is like from an ASU student perspective.
Ms. Gregg has been a host parent for two first generation students and she is also a parent of a recent nursing school graduate.
"I can't help financially but I can give them a roof over their head and give them a room in a steady environment," Gregg said. "It's a huge accomplishment for me watching them grow in four years, walk the stage, and receive their degree."
ASU First shines the light for high school students who are truly considering going to college.
"It's your education and no one can take that away from you," Baeza said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas