First-generation students get a taste of college life
Workshops give students insight on different resources
First generation students are learning that college opportunity is a dream that can become a reality through the ASU First program.
The program offers information about the university to high school students that are considering becoming the first in their families to attend college.
"ASU First shows students that ASU is a viable choice for an affordable, high-quality, and close-to-home college experience," Assistant Director Erika Baeza said. "We want to make sure that they have the tools to succeed."
First generation students struggle with getting into college because they are unsure how to pay for it, undecided on what to study, or they feel they are not good enough for school, Baeza said.
The program is in its 5th year and has recruited 497 students from 19 different schools around the San Angelo area, Baeza said.
"We had to close registration because we were very close to maxing out at 500 students," she said.
ASU First is welcoming high school students Friday, Feb. 7 where they will tour ASU and experience some of the programs offered.
There will also be activity workshops that will explain how admissions, financial aid and career development work.
In addition, the activity workshops will explain what campus life is like from an ASU student perspective.
Ms. Gregg has been a host parent for two first generation students and she is also a parent of a recent nursing school graduate.
"I can't help financially but I can give them a roof over their head and give them a room in a steady environment," Gregg said. "It's a huge accomplishment for me watching them grow in four years, walk the stage, and receive their degree."
ASU First shines the light for high school students who are truly considering going to college.
"It's your education and no one can take that away from you," Baeza said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
- How to Protect Your Data in a Connected World
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates