The road to LSC's No. 1 seed becomes clearer with yet another undefeated week
Surging ‘Belles continue to roll on their winning streak
Gas prices continue to hit already struggling students where it hurts most. Ashley Romo
The 'Belles are two games away from finishing their 2012 regular season and barring two losses, the women will host the Lone Star Conference annual volleyball tournament.
The women face Texas A&M-Commerce University on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. in Commerce and then will travel to Denton to face Texas Woman's University the next day at 2 p.m.
If the 'Belles win both games, they will finish the season with a 26-3 overall record, a 19-1 conference record.
Junior Shelbi Goode said she wants that very much.
"I told Coach when he was recruiting me that I wanted to win a conference championship," Goode said. "That was the goal that I had in mind on the way to making it happen."
Should it happen, it will be the first time since 1992 since ASU has hosted the tournament, and the 'Belles have a perfect 11-0 record at home this season.
Senior Emily Booth said the team isn't adding any more pressure on themselves, though.
"I wouldn't say there is added anxiety; we're just really focused." Booth said. "I think we're really excited to get the job done, and we're so close, but we know we have to stay focused at the same time."
Booth's production includes 110 kills and 46 blocks, and she said she is not taking any opponent lightly.
"They're both good teams," Booth said. "I don't think we can focus on one or the other. Just take it one game at a time and get the job done."
The 'Belles will face two volleyball teams that have winning records when playing at home.
Texas A&M-Commerce is 8-2 and Texas Woman's University is 12-1 at their respective home courts.
Not only will the 'Belles look to win their final two games, but senior Alex Woolsey will try to set the all-time assists record for ASU volleyball.
Woolsey is two assists away from breaking the seven-year-old record set by Amber Nelson in 2004, and Woolsey has 4,785 career assists currently.
"It's exciting," Woolsey said. "It's a personal goal I've had since I was a freshman. Did I think I was going to get it? I don't know. But, it's exciting and within reach."
The most important thing to Woolsey isn't the record; it is winning the last two games, she said. Then it will be winning in the postseason.
"I've been looking for the conference tournament since we got here," Woolsey said. "I think that because that it's so close we can do better than that now. Being conference champions is a goal, but it is not the ultimate goal."
The ultimate goal is being NCAA D-II champions, a feat that has never been accomplished in the illustrious history of ASU volleyball.
Woolsey and Booth are two of the five senior 'Belles that want to end their careers at ASU with a win.
Goode, the team's leader in kills, said she wants to make that happen.
"We want to get it down for our entire team," Goode said. "But it'd be really special for the seniors to go out in this way, and that's definitely something on our minds."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Delta Zeta hosts their last annual Turtle Tug philanthropy event
- Korean student chose ASU to practice English
- ASU brings a dark subject to light through an open mic night
- Ram Tram gives students at ASU a new mode of transportation
- Guns on campus may become a reality in near future
- A new era begins after a legendary season for Ram Basketball
- Ram baseball wins two of the four game series against Tarleton
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now