The road to LSC's No. 1 seed becomes clearer with yet another undefeated week
Surging ‘Belles continue to roll on their winning streak
Gas prices continue to hit already struggling students where it hurts most. Ashley Romo
The 'Belles are two games away from finishing their 2012 regular season and barring two losses, the women will host the Lone Star Conference annual volleyball tournament.
The women face Texas A&M-Commerce University on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. in Commerce and then will travel to Denton to face Texas Woman's University the next day at 2 p.m.
If the 'Belles win both games, they will finish the season with a 26-3 overall record, a 19-1 conference record.
Junior Shelbi Goode said she wants that very much.
"I told Coach when he was recruiting me that I wanted to win a conference championship," Goode said. "That was the goal that I had in mind on the way to making it happen."
Should it happen, it will be the first time since 1992 since ASU has hosted the tournament, and the 'Belles have a perfect 11-0 record at home this season.
Senior Emily Booth said the team isn't adding any more pressure on themselves, though.
"I wouldn't say there is added anxiety; we're just really focused." Booth said. "I think we're really excited to get the job done, and we're so close, but we know we have to stay focused at the same time."
Booth's production includes 110 kills and 46 blocks, and she said she is not taking any opponent lightly.
"They're both good teams," Booth said. "I don't think we can focus on one or the other. Just take it one game at a time and get the job done."
The 'Belles will face two volleyball teams that have winning records when playing at home.
Texas A&M-Commerce is 8-2 and Texas Woman's University is 12-1 at their respective home courts.
Not only will the 'Belles look to win their final two games, but senior Alex Woolsey will try to set the all-time assists record for ASU volleyball.
Woolsey is two assists away from breaking the seven-year-old record set by Amber Nelson in 2004, and Woolsey has 4,785 career assists currently.
"It's exciting," Woolsey said. "It's a personal goal I've had since I was a freshman. Did I think I was going to get it? I don't know. But, it's exciting and within reach."
The most important thing to Woolsey isn't the record; it is winning the last two games, she said. Then it will be winning in the postseason.
"I've been looking for the conference tournament since we got here," Woolsey said. "I think that because that it's so close we can do better than that now. Being conference champions is a goal, but it is not the ultimate goal."
The ultimate goal is being NCAA D-II champions, a feat that has never been accomplished in the illustrious history of ASU volleyball.
Woolsey and Booth are two of the five senior 'Belles that want to end their careers at ASU with a win.
Goode, the team's leader in kills, said she wants to make that happen.
"We want to get it down for our entire team," Goode said. "But it'd be really special for the seniors to go out in this way, and that's definitely something on our minds."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards