'Belles win game series against Midwestern
The girls continue to improve in practice
Andy Atterbury. Tim Lester
The 'Belles softball team Friday and Saturday, March 28 and 29, celebrated a four-game win against Midwestern State University.
The girls played a doubleheader each day and were able to rack up runs on the scoreboard.
"It was a great weekend for us to be able to overcome a two-game deficit with the conference lead and end up with a two-game lead over Midwestern and one game over WT," Head Coach Travis Scott said. "It's been a big weekend for us to be able to sweep Midwestern."
It was "Pack the Park" for the 'Belles on Friday night, and the team wanted to get several fans out to the ballpark.
"We had a good outing," senior Morgan Spearman said. "It was good to see a lot of people out there Friday night, and then a lot returned for Saturday."
Spearman started off game one on Friday with a walk, and freshman Kenedy Urbany brought Spearman home after a single. It was the first run for the 'Belles.
In the second inning, senior Carly Peters and sophomore Ambra Hill scored on a single from junior Micherie Koria. Urbany recorded two more RBIs with a double.
Scott said several of the girls had a huge weekend, and it showed on the scoreboard.
"Mary Kate McKay was huge this weekend and pitched all four games," he said. "She was doing a great job with her drop ball and change up. Micherie, Kenedy and Ambra had a great weekend. If we can get Ambra, Morgan and Micherie on base, it is a lot of speed on the base pads, and we can put a lot of pressure on the teams."
In game one of their double header on Saturday, Spearman became the first player in ASU history to hit for the cycle. This means that Spearman hit a single, double, triple and home run in a single game.
On Tuesday, April 1, she was named LSC Hitter of the Week for the third time this season.
Moving on to Saturday's first game, Midwestern started out with a lead of 1-0. Spearman hit a single in the first inning.
Urbany hit a double to right field and then scored on a bases loaded walk. The 'Belles were in the lead 3-1 at the end of the inning.
Spearman hit a double in the second inning, a home run in the fifth inning and a triple in the sixth to complete her cycle. The home run was the seventh for Spearman this season.
Scott said the four-game weekends have been tough for the team, but they have gotten a couple of days off and are sticking with their same routines during practices.
"We are just going to keep doing what we do," he said. "There is nothing specific to focus on so we will just continue to improve."
Urbany said having the crowd behind them when playing at home allows the girls to feed off of the energy.
"The crowd's energy helps build on the team chemistry once we are on the field," Urbany said.
The 'Belles hold the top spot in the Lone Star Conference standings. Second is West Texas A&M, and third is Midwestern State. Overall, the 'Belles are 28-9 and 13-3 in conference play.
"We are sitting where we think we need to be," Scott said. "We just have to take care of business the next three weeks, and then it should come down to the final series at the end of the year against West Texas."
The team is on a six-game winning streak, and the girls hope to continue that all the way to the end of the season.
"We could be on a bigger game-winning streak, but we are just working on cleaning up the little things and going out and playing hard," Spearman said.
The 'Belles will be back on Mayer Field Friday, April 4, and Saturday, April 5, to play Eastern New Mexico University for a three-game series.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'