Connect! ASU with community
Showcase chance to showoff semester’s worth of work
The Center for Community Engagement unveiled its pilot program called "Connect!" with a student showcase in the Houston Harte University Center on Monday, Nov. 12, at 3-5 p.m.
The program will be fully implemented in the fall of 2013 should the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges accept it, according to an ASU press release.
Faculty and staff have worked for two years to develop the program, according to the press release.
Each undergraduate college is represented in the program by a professor, with exception of the College of Arts and Sciences that is represented by two professors. English Professor Kevin Garrision, Teacher Education Professor Christine Purkiss, Nursing Professor June Smith and International Business Professor Sharynn Tomlin have all integrated community engagement in some fashion into their curriculum, according to the press release.
These professors have embedded community engagement into at least one of their courses, according to Professor Doyle Carter, director of the Quality Enhancement Plan.
At the showcase, each professor had a section of the conference room dedicated to his or her students' projects, Carter said.
"This event gives students the opportunity to showcase their work this semester," Professor Doyle Carter said. "Students get to communicate what they have learned through the program to others."
Junior Amanda Retikis's technical writing course 3351 with Garrison designed fliers for a local "Turkey Trot" event.
"We had a contest where everybody designed their own fliers, so everybody's fliers were completely different," Retiki said. "It was good to help out the community and help out with ASU Fit, who are holding the run."
"This program gives the community an opportunity to engage with ASU and to know what our students can do to contribute to their organizations," Carter said. "What we are trying to do is benefit the students by getting them out in the community and helping them to develop citizenship."
The ASU mission statement includes that students are prepared to be responsible citizens, and this program helps students become prepared, Carter said.
"Applying what students learn in class to a real world setting makes what they learn in the class that much more relevant," Carter said. "It's just part of that natural learning cycle."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards