'Belles top seed in conference tournament
ASU hosts tournament for first time in 20 years
Along with crafts, there were traditional foods, dancing and decoration. Pam Belcher
The time that ASU and the 'Belles volleyball team have been waiting over 20 years for has finally come.
ASU's 'Belles are in the Lone Star Conference Championship Tournament and since they were the best team in the regular season in the entire conference, they have earned the right to host the tournament at the Junell Center.
This will be the first time since 1992 that ASU has hosted the single-elimination tournament.
That was the last time the 'Belles won the Lone Star Conference Championship.
Head Coach Chuck Waddington and his team have prepared all year long for this tournament and the added bonus of hosting it is an advantage as the 'Belles are an undefeated 11-0 at home this year.
The tournament begins on Thursday, Nov. 15 and it features an eight-seed bracket that is single elimination meaning the teams will either win or go home.
The seeding arrangement matches up higher ranked teams against lower ranked teams.
At noon, No. 3 Tarleton State (22-8, 15-5 LSC) will take on No. 6 Texas A&M-Kingsville (17-13, 9-11 LSC).
At 2:30 p.m., No. 2 West Texas A&M (27-4, 17-3 LSC) will face No. 7 Abilene Christian (12-18, 8-12 LSC).
At 5 p.m., No. 4 Texas Woman's (22-7, 15-5 LSC) will play No. 5 Texas A&M-Commerce (20-10, 11-9 LSC).
And at 7: 30 p.m., No. 1 Angelo State (25-4, 18-2 LSC) will go up against No. 8 Incarnate Word (10-20, 7-13 LSC).
From there, which ever four teams win will go on to the next round on Friday that will have two matches at 5 and 7:30 p.m.
The two winners from Friday will face off in a winner-take-all match at 2 p.m. and the winner earns the Lone Star Conference Championship and an automatic berth in the NCAA Division II Championship Tournament.
Last year, the 'Belles were in the final round of the tournament, but lost to West Texas A&M University.
West Texas A&M is the current six-time consecutive champions, but the 'Belles defeated them 3-1 in the Junell Center on Oct. 26.
Numerous 'Belles players have said multiple times that they have been waiting for this moment all year long.
The moment is finally here.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge