'Belles top seed in conference tournament
ASU hosts tournament for first time in 20 years
Along with crafts, there were traditional foods, dancing and decoration. Pam Belcher
The time that ASU and the 'Belles volleyball team have been waiting over 20 years for has finally come.
ASU's 'Belles are in the Lone Star Conference Championship Tournament and since they were the best team in the regular season in the entire conference, they have earned the right to host the tournament at the Junell Center.
This will be the first time since 1992 that ASU has hosted the single-elimination tournament.
That was the last time the 'Belles won the Lone Star Conference Championship.
Head Coach Chuck Waddington and his team have prepared all year long for this tournament and the added bonus of hosting it is an advantage as the 'Belles are an undefeated 11-0 at home this year.
The tournament begins on Thursday, Nov. 15 and it features an eight-seed bracket that is single elimination meaning the teams will either win or go home.
The seeding arrangement matches up higher ranked teams against lower ranked teams.
At noon, No. 3 Tarleton State (22-8, 15-5 LSC) will take on No. 6 Texas A&M-Kingsville (17-13, 9-11 LSC).
At 2:30 p.m., No. 2 West Texas A&M (27-4, 17-3 LSC) will face No. 7 Abilene Christian (12-18, 8-12 LSC).
At 5 p.m., No. 4 Texas Woman's (22-7, 15-5 LSC) will play No. 5 Texas A&M-Commerce (20-10, 11-9 LSC).
And at 7: 30 p.m., No. 1 Angelo State (25-4, 18-2 LSC) will go up against No. 8 Incarnate Word (10-20, 7-13 LSC).
From there, which ever four teams win will go on to the next round on Friday that will have two matches at 5 and 7:30 p.m.
The two winners from Friday will face off in a winner-take-all match at 2 p.m. and the winner earns the Lone Star Conference Championship and an automatic berth in the NCAA Division II Championship Tournament.
Last year, the 'Belles were in the final round of the tournament, but lost to West Texas A&M University.
West Texas A&M is the current six-time consecutive champions, but the 'Belles defeated them 3-1 in the Junell Center on Oct. 26.
Numerous 'Belles players have said multiple times that they have been waiting for this moment all year long.
The moment is finally here.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
- Congress Should Make It Easier for Taxpayers Who Still...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT