'Belles top seed in conference tournament
ASU hosts tournament for first time in 20 years
Along with crafts, there were traditional foods, dancing and decoration. Pam Belcher
The time that ASU and the 'Belles volleyball team have been waiting over 20 years for has finally come.
ASU's 'Belles are in the Lone Star Conference Championship Tournament and since they were the best team in the regular season in the entire conference, they have earned the right to host the tournament at the Junell Center.
This will be the first time since 1992 that ASU has hosted the single-elimination tournament.
That was the last time the 'Belles won the Lone Star Conference Championship.
Head Coach Chuck Waddington and his team have prepared all year long for this tournament and the added bonus of hosting it is an advantage as the 'Belles are an undefeated 11-0 at home this year.
The tournament begins on Thursday, Nov. 15 and it features an eight-seed bracket that is single elimination meaning the teams will either win or go home.
The seeding arrangement matches up higher ranked teams against lower ranked teams.
At noon, No. 3 Tarleton State (22-8, 15-5 LSC) will take on No. 6 Texas A&M-Kingsville (17-13, 9-11 LSC).
At 2:30 p.m., No. 2 West Texas A&M (27-4, 17-3 LSC) will face No. 7 Abilene Christian (12-18, 8-12 LSC).
At 5 p.m., No. 4 Texas Woman's (22-7, 15-5 LSC) will play No. 5 Texas A&M-Commerce (20-10, 11-9 LSC).
And at 7: 30 p.m., No. 1 Angelo State (25-4, 18-2 LSC) will go up against No. 8 Incarnate Word (10-20, 7-13 LSC).
From there, which ever four teams win will go on to the next round on Friday that will have two matches at 5 and 7:30 p.m.
The two winners from Friday will face off in a winner-take-all match at 2 p.m. and the winner earns the Lone Star Conference Championship and an automatic berth in the NCAA Division II Championship Tournament.
Last year, the 'Belles were in the final round of the tournament, but lost to West Texas A&M University.
West Texas A&M is the current six-time consecutive champions, but the 'Belles defeated them 3-1 in the Junell Center on Oct. 26.
Numerous 'Belles players have said multiple times that they have been waiting for this moment all year long.
The moment is finally here.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video