New look Rams basketball aims to make waves in LSC
Youngbloods look to seniors to lead
Along with crafts, there were traditional foods, dancing and decoration. Pam Belcher
The Rams 2012 season opener had been a long time coming for the 10 new members of the men's basketball team, but it was a particularly long wait for one player.
"This is my first game in like a year and a half," Dye said. "I had to sit out with an injury last year."
Dye's return did not begin on a good start as he only played two minutes in the first half of the Rams 71-65 victory over Lubbock Christian University at home last Saturday.
"I let my emotions get the best of me," Dye said. "I had two quick fouls so he [Head Coach Fred Rike] didn't want me to foul out of the game."
After the first half, Dye got his chance to go back in, and he said he made the most of it.
After trailing for most of the game, the Rams engineered a comeback that started with Dye and the team's only three-pointer of the second half.
Dye, a transfer from McCook Community College, fired the shot and was fouled to the floor, which caused the referee to blow the whistle.
When the ball went through the hoop, the stands exploded as the Rams had a chance for a four-point-play with the score 56-53 in favor of LCU.
Despite Dye missing the free throw, the momentum had shifted to ASU because of that shot, and the Rams scored 18 more points and held LCU to half of that to win the game.
"That was a good feeling," Dye said. "I think it got the crowd into it and boosted our team up."
Dye finished the game with 20 minutes, seven points and three assists
After an 11-17 finish last year, ASU's Rams have 12 new players, but Dye said that chemistry is not an issue with this team.
Dye said he knows the team has chemistry and pointed to the stat sheet for proof.
"You can see the balance in scoring," Dye said. "Everybody contributes."
In addition to Dye's contributions, junior guard Bryan Hammond and junior forward Ryan Marsh had 14 points, sophomore forward Dakota Rawls scored 10 and freshman guard Jovan Austin scored seven.
Five other players contributed points to make every player a weapon.
Hammond took the most shots and was 5/16 on field goals and 4-6 on free throws, but he believes those numbers will improve from here.
"There was a little bit of jitters," Hammond said. "I took a couple of bad shots, but that's just the flow of the game so I'm going to work on it. Coach is going to help me work on it a lot, so next game I feel like I'm going to have a better shooting percentage."
The Rams trailed at the first half 33-31 and Hammond said during halftime, the team had its own revelation.
"We realized we needed to come together," Hammond said.
The Rams came together and now are 1-0 to start a long season.
The Rams' next game is against Arlington Baptist College on Sunday, Nov. 18 at home in the Junell Center at 3 p.m. and the Rams will win or lose together as a family.
"We call each other brothers," Dye said. "We're like family.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Rams face the cold weather and pull off a close win against Cameron University
- ASU Softball takes down A&M-Kingsville
- ASU celebrates mascot’s birthday with cupcakes and party hats
- Agriculture students volunteer at the stock show and rodeo
- Former UCPC performer could potentially be the next American Idol
- Rams and Rambelles rack up another victory
- ASU ROTC Program is best detachment in the region
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How to Make Outdoor Spaces as Beautiful and Comfortable...
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...