Gearing up for Black Friday fun
Skip Bolding, former director of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management, says he hopes to maintain the relationships at ASU after taking a position with an oil field company. Photo Courtesy of Communications and Marketing
As I dream about heading home to Dallas for Thanksgiving, I am excited I will be able to eat turkey, stuffing and pie.
Along with a table full of food, I will be surrounded by family whom I have missed.
I cannot wait to share my stories of college life.
Aside from spending time with my family, one of my favorite "holidays" falls during Thanksgiving break, Black Friday.
Now, when I say Black Friday you might think of thousands of people cramming into a Target or Walmart just to get the bathroom towels or picture frames on sale.
While, I have to say that is true, the fun in going Black Friday shopping is not only in getting great deals, but watching people run into each other trying to grab the last $1 movie in the produce aisle.
This will be my third year going Black Friday shopping, and I wish I could call myself a pro.
Each year I have become better at shopping with so many people and not getting annoyed.
I have always wondered why Black Friday fell after Thanksgiving, the day people are supposed to be thankful.
For whatever reason Black Friday is after Thanksgiving, it works out perfectly.
Once I eat some turkey, watch some football and take a nap, I whip out my store ads.
With my pen in hand and legal pad laid out, I go through all of the ads writing down what stores I want to go to and what items I plan on purchasing.
This year, Walmart and Sears already released their Black Friday ads in addition to announcing they will open at 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 22. That is a Black Friday shopper's dream.
Waiting in a line, wrapped around a building in the freezing temperatures at 11 p.m. is not all that bad when you know that in one hour, you will be let into a large, warm store with great deals.
I usually tag along with my mom or aunts because if I were to go by myself I would not be as aggressive as I am when with my family.
Once I finally reach the cashier with my basket full of electronics, home dÃ©cor items and toys, I wait anxiously for the final total to appear on the face of the little digital screen.
The best part about the total cost of the items, though, is the fact that everything was half off. By the time I finally arrive back home and unload my 20 shopping bags, I fall on my bed and make up the time I lost on sleep.
Black Friday will always be a day that I go shopping because I never know what great deals I might come across.
Even if there isn't anything to purchase, watching the zoned-in and focused shoppers is entertaining enough.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections