Outdoor Adventures prepares to host the Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference
Conference focuses on the ever changing environment
ASU's Outdoor Adventures program will host the annual Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference (TOLC) Friday, Jan. 25 through Sunday, Jan. 27.
Friday will open with registration at 1 p.m. at the ASU Lake House, followed by a 4 p.m. tour of the ASU campus facilities. Friday evening will feature dinner at 6:30 p.m., followed by live entertainment and other activities at 8:30 p.m.
Education sessions are scheduled for Saturday and will include topics from risk management procedures to research into the effects of rock climbing on bone mineral density, according to a TOLC press release.
Sessions will take place at the ASU Lake House, the Center for Human Performance and the Houston Harte University Center, according to the press release.
Graduate Assistant for Outdoor Adventures, Aaron Kentner, will be presenting one of the educational sessions on the effects of rock climbing on bone mineral density, a six- week study he did during the fall semester.
The conference will end with a practicum-based clinic and skills sessions at the Lake House from 8 a.m. to noon.
Other activities will include an adventure race, Dutch oven cooking with food preparation and competition, entertainment will feature Manny Campos and Joshua Heimbecker, and Laurence Parent will be the Keynote speaker. Parent will be discussing the book he wrote, "Death in Big Bend".
The event rotates to different Texas universities and colleges each year. Majority of attendees come from Texas universities, but the conference is also open to Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma schools, according to a TOLC press release.
"We're expecting 75 to 100 professionals and students to participate in the conference," Kentner said.
Ian Brown, Assistant Director for Outdoor Adventures, said the conference is an opportunity for the student staff involved in the program to get an opportunity to develop themselves a little bit more.
"They're the ones that are actually putting the conference on. They manage the logistics, room reservations, the catering, and the educational sessions," Brown said, "In doing so it's providing them an experience so when they get on a career path, they already have prior experience of event management."
Student Supervisor for Outdoor Adventures, John Zafereo, will be working on the logistics aspect of the conference, such as setting staff schedules.
"This event definitely gives you a better look at the responsibilities that go into planning a conference like this," Zafereo said. "There is a lot more that goes into it than I thought there was, and it's a good way to learn,"
For more information or to register for the conference, go online to www.angelo.edu/tolc or call ASU Outdoor Adventures at (325)486-6918.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses