Outdoor Adventures prepares to host the Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference
Conference focuses on the ever changing environment
ASU's Outdoor Adventures program will host the annual Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference (TOLC) Friday, Jan. 25 through Sunday, Jan. 27.
Friday will open with registration at 1 p.m. at the ASU Lake House, followed by a 4 p.m. tour of the ASU campus facilities. Friday evening will feature dinner at 6:30 p.m., followed by live entertainment and other activities at 8:30 p.m.
Education sessions are scheduled for Saturday and will include topics from risk management procedures to research into the effects of rock climbing on bone mineral density, according to a TOLC press release.
Sessions will take place at the ASU Lake House, the Center for Human Performance and the Houston Harte University Center, according to the press release.
Graduate Assistant for Outdoor Adventures, Aaron Kentner, will be presenting one of the educational sessions on the effects of rock climbing on bone mineral density, a six- week study he did during the fall semester.
The conference will end with a practicum-based clinic and skills sessions at the Lake House from 8 a.m. to noon.
Other activities will include an adventure race, Dutch oven cooking with food preparation and competition, entertainment will feature Manny Campos and Joshua Heimbecker, and Laurence Parent will be the Keynote speaker. Parent will be discussing the book he wrote, "Death in Big Bend".
The event rotates to different Texas universities and colleges each year. Majority of attendees come from Texas universities, but the conference is also open to Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma schools, according to a TOLC press release.
"We're expecting 75 to 100 professionals and students to participate in the conference," Kentner said.
Ian Brown, Assistant Director for Outdoor Adventures, said the conference is an opportunity for the student staff involved in the program to get an opportunity to develop themselves a little bit more.
"They're the ones that are actually putting the conference on. They manage the logistics, room reservations, the catering, and the educational sessions," Brown said, "In doing so it's providing them an experience so when they get on a career path, they already have prior experience of event management."
Student Supervisor for Outdoor Adventures, John Zafereo, will be working on the logistics aspect of the conference, such as setting staff schedules.
"This event definitely gives you a better look at the responsibilities that go into planning a conference like this," Zafereo said. "There is a lot more that goes into it than I thought there was, and it's a good way to learn,"
For more information or to register for the conference, go online to www.angelo.edu/tolc or call ASU Outdoor Adventures at (325)486-6918.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Computer science major gives insight into why he chose ASU
- Rams start game off with a strong lead
- ASU and SAMFA work together to make the museum come alive
- Students to climb their way to top at fourth annual rock climbing competition
- Candidates suggest text book swapping idea, Craigslist-style for students
- Rams and Rambelles place in David Noble meet
- Students who can’t make it home for Easter make the most of it
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now