Meat Judging Team wins 'meat'
Only one competition left in season
ASU's Meat Judging Team placed eighth in Frontier Meats at the Southwestern Intercollegiate Meats Judging Competition in Fort Worth, Feb. 2.
The Meat Judging Team also placed second in Lamb Judging.
Matthew Murdoch, a member of the team placed 11th overall in the contest and third in total individual placing.
Four team members and two alternates competed at the competition.
The team members are Katie Austin, Matthew Murdoch, Danielle Freeman and Bryce Patton.
The team alternates are Dalton Zipp and Savina Robles. Lexus Weinheimer is the coach of the team and her assistant coach is Michael Boenig.
"The team as a whole has improved dramatically," Weinheimer said. "There is room for improvement, but with this team's high level of potential, I expect great things in the future from them."
Weinheimer attended undergraduate school at Texas A&M University where she also competed on A&M's, Meat Judging Team.
This is her first year to coach the ASU team.
The Meat Judging competition is divided into two divisions. The A-Division had 47 students from nine universities and colleges participating.
The B-Division, which is the division ASU competes in, had 91 individuals from 11 participating universities and colleges.
For each competition the team registers at 6 a.m. and competes until 2:30 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
The alternates compete in the alternates' division of the contest. The alternates judge the same classes as the general contest.
The classes for a standard contest are Beef Carcasses (two classes), Beef Cuts (two classes), Pork Carcasses (two classes), Fresh Pork Cuts (two classes), Lamb (two classes), Beef Carcass Quality Grading, Beef Yield Grading, and Specifications.
The team left for Fort Worth on Jan. 28 and arrived back home on Feb. 3.
"There is still room for improvement, but with this team's determination and wit, great things are still to come," Boenig said.
The last competition of the season will be in Houston, Texas, at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Intercollegiate Meat and Judging contest on March 8, 2014.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!