Meat Judging Team wins 'meat'
Only one competition left in season
ASU's Meat Judging Team placed eighth in Frontier Meats at the Southwestern Intercollegiate Meats Judging Competition in Fort Worth, Feb. 2.
The Meat Judging Team also placed second in Lamb Judging.
Matthew Murdoch, a member of the team placed 11th overall in the contest and third in total individual placing.
Four team members and two alternates competed at the competition.
The team members are Katie Austin, Matthew Murdoch, Danielle Freeman and Bryce Patton.
The team alternates are Dalton Zipp and Savina Robles. Lexus Weinheimer is the coach of the team and her assistant coach is Michael Boenig.
"The team as a whole has improved dramatically," Weinheimer said. "There is room for improvement, but with this team's high level of potential, I expect great things in the future from them."
Weinheimer attended undergraduate school at Texas A&M University where she also competed on A&M's, Meat Judging Team.
This is her first year to coach the ASU team.
The Meat Judging competition is divided into two divisions. The A-Division had 47 students from nine universities and colleges participating.
The B-Division, which is the division ASU competes in, had 91 individuals from 11 participating universities and colleges.
For each competition the team registers at 6 a.m. and competes until 2:30 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
The alternates compete in the alternates' division of the contest. The alternates judge the same classes as the general contest.
The classes for a standard contest are Beef Carcasses (two classes), Beef Cuts (two classes), Pork Carcasses (two classes), Fresh Pork Cuts (two classes), Lamb (two classes), Beef Carcass Quality Grading, Beef Yield Grading, and Specifications.
The team left for Fort Worth on Jan. 28 and arrived back home on Feb. 3.
"There is still room for improvement, but with this team's determination and wit, great things are still to come," Boenig said.
The last competition of the season will be in Houston, Texas, at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Intercollegiate Meat and Judging contest on March 8, 2014.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- ASU celebrates mascot’s birthday with cupcakes and party hats
- Agriculture students volunteer at the stock show and rodeo
- Former UCPC performer could potentially be the next American Idol
- Rams and Rambelles rack up another victory
- ASU ROTC Program is best detachment in the region
- UCPC hosts grocery bingo for students and gets great results
- Career development hosts a blue and gold scavenger hunt
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...