Meat Judging Team wins 'meat'
Only one competition left in season
ASU's Meat Judging Team placed eighth in Frontier Meats at the Southwestern Intercollegiate Meats Judging Competition in Fort Worth, Feb. 2.
The Meat Judging Team also placed second in Lamb Judging.
Matthew Murdoch, a member of the team placed 11th overall in the contest and third in total individual placing.
Four team members and two alternates competed at the competition.
The team members are Katie Austin, Matthew Murdoch, Danielle Freeman and Bryce Patton.
The team alternates are Dalton Zipp and Savina Robles. Lexus Weinheimer is the coach of the team and her assistant coach is Michael Boenig.
"The team as a whole has improved dramatically," Weinheimer said. "There is room for improvement, but with this team's high level of potential, I expect great things in the future from them."
Weinheimer attended undergraduate school at Texas A&M University where she also competed on A&M's, Meat Judging Team.
This is her first year to coach the ASU team.
The Meat Judging competition is divided into two divisions. The A-Division had 47 students from nine universities and colleges participating.
The B-Division, which is the division ASU competes in, had 91 individuals from 11 participating universities and colleges.
For each competition the team registers at 6 a.m. and competes until 2:30 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
The alternates compete in the alternates' division of the contest. The alternates judge the same classes as the general contest.
The classes for a standard contest are Beef Carcasses (two classes), Beef Cuts (two classes), Pork Carcasses (two classes), Fresh Pork Cuts (two classes), Lamb (two classes), Beef Carcass Quality Grading, Beef Yield Grading, and Specifications.
The team left for Fort Worth on Jan. 28 and arrived back home on Feb. 3.
"There is still room for improvement, but with this team's determination and wit, great things are still to come," Boenig said.
The last competition of the season will be in Houston, Texas, at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Intercollegiate Meat and Judging contest on March 8, 2014.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Softball seniors go out with a bang at their last home game
- German club hosts Walpurgis Night, all are invited
- Student chooses ASU for the small time feel, scholarships and smiling faces
- Athlete from Hamlin, Texas, picks ASU for track experience
- PIKE gets risqué for a good cause
- Famous paleontologist talks to students about his discovery of an extinct fish
- Drop and Shop sale benefits Concho Valley PAWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!