Meat Judging Team wins 'meat'
Only one competition left in season
ASU's Meat Judging Team placed eighth in Frontier Meats at the Southwestern Intercollegiate Meats Judging Competition in Fort Worth, Feb. 2.
The Meat Judging Team also placed second in Lamb Judging.
Matthew Murdoch, a member of the team placed 11th overall in the contest and third in total individual placing.
Four team members and two alternates competed at the competition.
The team members are Katie Austin, Matthew Murdoch, Danielle Freeman and Bryce Patton.
The team alternates are Dalton Zipp and Savina Robles. Lexus Weinheimer is the coach of the team and her assistant coach is Michael Boenig.
"The team as a whole has improved dramatically," Weinheimer said. "There is room for improvement, but with this team's high level of potential, I expect great things in the future from them."
Weinheimer attended undergraduate school at Texas A&M University where she also competed on A&M's, Meat Judging Team.
This is her first year to coach the ASU team.
The Meat Judging competition is divided into two divisions. The A-Division had 47 students from nine universities and colleges participating.
The B-Division, which is the division ASU competes in, had 91 individuals from 11 participating universities and colleges.
For each competition the team registers at 6 a.m. and competes until 2:30 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
The alternates compete in the alternates' division of the contest. The alternates judge the same classes as the general contest.
The classes for a standard contest are Beef Carcasses (two classes), Beef Cuts (two classes), Pork Carcasses (two classes), Fresh Pork Cuts (two classes), Lamb (two classes), Beef Carcass Quality Grading, Beef Yield Grading, and Specifications.
The team left for Fort Worth on Jan. 28 and arrived back home on Feb. 3.
"There is still room for improvement, but with this team's determination and wit, great things are still to come," Boenig said.
The last competition of the season will be in Houston, Texas, at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Intercollegiate Meat and Judging contest on March 8, 2014.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Families to gather for campus-wide activities
- Rambelles keep a clear head in their winning streak
- Chop Busters, a way to drum up some muscle
- Artistry of all forms welcome to campus club
- Physics major goes to Switzerland with hopes to answer mysteries of the universe
- Korean student sees difference in US communication
- Students challenge themselves and make new friends
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
- Career in Sales Can Satisfy an Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Lighting Tips for Your Media Room
- The High Price of Health Care Illiteracy
- More Americans Choose Chiropractic Care: Gallup
- Is the Controversy Around Carrageenan Warranted?
- Limited Space, Big Love: Solutions for Cat Lovers in...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games
- Golden Door Scholars Expands Reach of College Scholarship Program for High-Performing Undocumented Students
- INTRODUCING: PAY YOUR SELFIE™, THE FIRST APP THAT PAYS CASH TO ANYONE FOR SELFIES