Dancers present unique opportunity for artists
Ballet and Museum collaborate on event
The San Angelo Civic Ballet, along with the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts, will host a unique event on Thursday, Feb. 20, which will incorporate dance, art and live music.
"Art in Motion," which is free to the public, is the featured event of Downtown San Angelo's Art Walk and will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. in the upstairs Gallery 3 at the museum.
During the event, viewers and participants will have a chance to sketch, draw or paint their interpretation of ballet dancers in motion.
"This is different [from typical ballet events] because we're collaborating with the museum, trying to have a different art medium and making it more visual art-focused," said Tanya Pfluger, executive director for the San Angelo Civic Ballet. "Participants who come will be able to watch what's going on, snap a picture of the dancers and draw them."
ASU art students under the instruction of Associate Professor of Art Ben Sum will be participating in the event.
According to Sum, students do not get many opportunities to draw live models, whether in motion or stationary, and the opportunity is exactly what Pfluger wants to provide them.
"We want to allow students who have never experienced live drawing in this type of atmosphere to do so," Pfluger said.
Secretary of Kappa Pi senior Lupita Moreno, said she is most excited about the dancers dancing while she draws them.
"I initially was planning on just answering questions and helping set up art work," Moreno said. "But I probably will draw because it has been a while since I've had the opportunity to draw live models. I look forward to having personal sketches of the dancers that I can use for paintings in the future."
The dancers are just one part of the event, however.
"The second part of the event is an art exhibit, which will feature local artists' paintings that we will be selling," said Pfluger.
The proceeds will benefit the San Angelo Civic Ballet and the San Angelo Performing Arts Center.
"The exhibition has an educational component to it because all the paintings are based on historical dance art work so there is some art history there," Sum said.
The paintings will be on exhibit at the UCRA Water Education building located at 427 S Oakes St. and will be available for viewing from 6 to 8 p.m.
"We would like for people to come see ballet at the museum who maybe have never been interested before but would like to see it in a different art form," Pfluger said. "We are trying to produce something a little different for our community. We are trying to step outside the box a little bit."
"Art in Motion" is sure to bring lovers of all mediums of art together under one roof.
"I used to dance and I feel like incorporating something that I loved doing and doing something now that I love is kind of the best of both worlds," Moreno said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!