Rams off to a perfect season start; heading to Lubbock
Rams work on all aspects of the game
After this week's performance, the Rams anticipate a good season.
The Rams had a three-game sweep over Texas A&M International.
ASU will put their skills to the test as they prepare to battle Lubbock Christian University, another tough team in their lineup, Feb. 14 through Feb. 16.
In the upcoming games, the Rams are trying to eliminate mental and physical mistakes while they are also trying to execute the fundamentals of baseball, infielder Tyler Coughenour said.
Head Coach Kevin Brooks said he is pleased with the start of the season, but he would like to cut back on the amount of strikeouts.
"The team is continuing to stay in routine despite of the cold weather while continuing to get better and better every game," he said.
The players also need work on stealing bases, strikeouts and just little things as time allots, Brooks said.
"At practice we work on every aspect of the game," Coughenour said.
"Base running, defense, hitting and pitching are just some of the things we are working on. We will also set up game-like scenarios to work on situations that might come up during games."
The Rams not only practice their defensive plays, but also work on their offensive plays so they can continue to get better.
"We work on our bunt plays, defensive plays, throwing strikes and situational hitting to prepare us to execute in the games," pitcher Jake Feckley said.
Brooks said he is pleased with how they are playing and how they are competing.
"I think the guys are putting forth great effort," Brooks said. "They are doing a lot of good things."
The Rams are now counting down the days until the Lone Star Conference tournament, which begins on May 8.
"Each game is really important and every game counts the same," Brooks said.
Brooks said that the roles are really undefined on who is getting a lot of playing time. He is hopeful that some players will "step up to the plate" and that certain players will fill shoes to get a better idea of what is ahead for this team.
"It's difficult as a coach because he is not sure which players will be playing and which are not," he said.
Coughenour has already started a successful season with a .526 batting average.
"We still have a lot of aspects of our game that we can get better at," Coughenour said.
"I think our team plays well together as a unit and that we need to stay committed as individuals to improve ourselves daily," Feckley said. "I hope that in future games we continue to win and keep the perfect streak going."
The Rams will start their first game against Lubbock Christian on Friday, Feb. 14, and finish up their set of games in Lubbock on Saturday, Feb. 16.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership