Annual rodeo bucks out of chute
Events provide experience for students
The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo has started again with daily performances and large crowds flocking in every weekend, and ASU's Agriculture department is highly involved in the three-week long event.
"As a department, we work very closely with the rodeo because we benefit by having the opportunity to make contact with others working in agriculture, and students benefit by volunteering and getting more experience," Department of Agriculture Chair Micheal Salisbury said.
During these next two weeks, the agriculture department will have an opportunity to make contact with numerous potential students, he said.
"For our department, the rodeo works as a recruiting tool and as a way for our current students to get some real-life practice in their chosen fields of study," he said.
The student volunteers really learn how to work together, Office Coordinator Annette Roberts said.
"Everybody is helping everybody else," she said. "A good thing for the students to learn is to be prepared, but to also be prepared to help someone else."
The rodeo has a variety of shows for people to enjoy, one of them being the Ag Mechanics show, she said.
"In the Ag Mechanics show, participants build anything and everything, from spurs to tables and chairs," Roberts said.
Students also help in the rodeo by guiding multiple tours throughout the day for anyone interested in touring a farm, Salisbury said.
"Being at the rodeo gives people a chance to do things that they couldn't do anywhere else in San Angelo," Roberts said. "The participants work very hard for the rodeo, and their work should be noticed."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections