Annual rodeo bucks out of chute
Events provide experience for students
The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo has started again with daily performances and large crowds flocking in every weekend, and ASU's Agriculture department is highly involved in the three-week long event.
"As a department, we work very closely with the rodeo because we benefit by having the opportunity to make contact with others working in agriculture, and students benefit by volunteering and getting more experience," Department of Agriculture Chair Micheal Salisbury said.
During these next two weeks, the agriculture department will have an opportunity to make contact with numerous potential students, he said.
"For our department, the rodeo works as a recruiting tool and as a way for our current students to get some real-life practice in their chosen fields of study," he said.
The student volunteers really learn how to work together, Office Coordinator Annette Roberts said.
"Everybody is helping everybody else," she said. "A good thing for the students to learn is to be prepared, but to also be prepared to help someone else."
The rodeo has a variety of shows for people to enjoy, one of them being the Ag Mechanics show, she said.
"In the Ag Mechanics show, participants build anything and everything, from spurs to tables and chairs," Roberts said.
Students also help in the rodeo by guiding multiple tours throughout the day for anyone interested in touring a farm, Salisbury said.
"Being at the rodeo gives people a chance to do things that they couldn't do anywhere else in San Angelo," Roberts said. "The participants work very hard for the rodeo, and their work should be noticed."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards