Annual rodeo bucks out of chute
Events provide experience for students
The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo has started again with daily performances and large crowds flocking in every weekend, and ASU's Agriculture department is highly involved in the three-week long event.
"As a department, we work very closely with the rodeo because we benefit by having the opportunity to make contact with others working in agriculture, and students benefit by volunteering and getting more experience," Department of Agriculture Chair Micheal Salisbury said.
During these next two weeks, the agriculture department will have an opportunity to make contact with numerous potential students, he said.
"For our department, the rodeo works as a recruiting tool and as a way for our current students to get some real-life practice in their chosen fields of study," he said.
The student volunteers really learn how to work together, Office Coordinator Annette Roberts said.
"Everybody is helping everybody else," she said. "A good thing for the students to learn is to be prepared, but to also be prepared to help someone else."
The rodeo has a variety of shows for people to enjoy, one of them being the Ag Mechanics show, she said.
"In the Ag Mechanics show, participants build anything and everything, from spurs to tables and chairs," Roberts said.
Students also help in the rodeo by guiding multiple tours throughout the day for anyone interested in touring a farm, Salisbury said.
"Being at the rodeo gives people a chance to do things that they couldn't do anywhere else in San Angelo," Roberts said. "The participants work very hard for the rodeo, and their work should be noticed."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- ASU celebrates mascot’s birthday with cupcakes and party hats
- Agriculture students volunteer at the stock show and rodeo
- Former UCPC performer could potentially be the next American Idol
- Rams and Rambelles rack up another victory
- ASU ROTC Program is best detachment in the region
- UCPC hosts grocery bingo for students and gets great results
- Career development hosts a blue and gold scavenger hunt
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How to Make Outdoor Spaces as Beautiful and Comfortable...
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...