Annual rodeo bucks out of chute
Events provide experience for students
The San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo has started again with daily performances and large crowds flocking in every weekend, and ASU's Agriculture department is highly involved in the three-week long event.
"As a department, we work very closely with the rodeo because we benefit by having the opportunity to make contact with others working in agriculture, and students benefit by volunteering and getting more experience," Department of Agriculture Chair Micheal Salisbury said.
During these next two weeks, the agriculture department will have an opportunity to make contact with numerous potential students, he said.
"For our department, the rodeo works as a recruiting tool and as a way for our current students to get some real-life practice in their chosen fields of study," he said.
The student volunteers really learn how to work together, Office Coordinator Annette Roberts said.
"Everybody is helping everybody else," she said. "A good thing for the students to learn is to be prepared, but to also be prepared to help someone else."
The rodeo has a variety of shows for people to enjoy, one of them being the Ag Mechanics show, she said.
"In the Ag Mechanics show, participants build anything and everything, from spurs to tables and chairs," Roberts said.
Students also help in the rodeo by guiding multiple tours throughout the day for anyone interested in touring a farm, Salisbury said.
"Being at the rodeo gives people a chance to do things that they couldn't do anywhere else in San Angelo," Roberts said. "The participants work very hard for the rodeo, and their work should be noticed."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Oleg Frish's Dream Comes True With New Duets Album
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Knowledge Gaps in Vaccination Against Meningococcal Disease
- Five Easy Steps to Own Holiday Shopping on a Budget
- CSUN Secular Student Alliance holds their first meeting
- Application Deadline Near for $100,000 Excellence in Innovation Award
- Voto Latino to Host Event on Climate Change Challenges & Opportunities