Restaurant Review: Aunt Maggie's Kitchen
Quarterback Josh Neiswander, graduate student, looks for a pass in Saturday’s game against the Eastern New Mexico Greyhounds. Pam Belcher
I once spoke of a man here in San Angelo whose cooking reminded me of my dad's.
If Kenny Blanek's reminded me of my dad's home cooking, then Aunt Maggie's reminds me of my grandmother's.
The first time I went to this establishment was last summer with a co-worker of mine.
We were greeted promptly and sat in a corner booth of the relatively small place.
I scanned the menu as our waiter brought out chips and salsa.
That was no surprise. I can't think of any Mexican restaurant that doesn't do that.
What did surprise me, however, was when our waiter brought out a small bowl of that day's lunch special.
Mmmm, pork guiso. It was delicious, and even better that our waiter had wanted us to try it to see if we would like it or not.
My co-worker had the guiso but I went with two barbacoa burritos, and let me tell you, my mouth is watering thinking about them again!
Another big surprise was that their tortillas were genuinely homemade. Not like those mainstream joints that buy their tortillas and cater to... well, not Hispanics...
The service was great. Their food was great. Their prices were well worth it.
In fact, the most expensive thing I bought were three dozen, that's right, three dozen, homemade tortillas for my roommate and I to stuff with whatever we could and slap on the George Foreman grill.
This place is a little tricky to find on 1601 S Hill St, but print out a Google map, study it, and head on over to Aunt Maggie's Kitchen if you enjoy good, genuine Mexican food and service.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections