Restaurant Review: Aunt Maggie's Kitchen
Quarterback Josh Neiswander, graduate student, looks for a pass in Saturday’s game against the Eastern New Mexico Greyhounds. Pam Belcher
I once spoke of a man here in San Angelo whose cooking reminded me of my dad's.
If Kenny Blanek's reminded me of my dad's home cooking, then Aunt Maggie's reminds me of my grandmother's.
The first time I went to this establishment was last summer with a co-worker of mine.
We were greeted promptly and sat in a corner booth of the relatively small place.
I scanned the menu as our waiter brought out chips and salsa.
That was no surprise. I can't think of any Mexican restaurant that doesn't do that.
What did surprise me, however, was when our waiter brought out a small bowl of that day's lunch special.
Mmmm, pork guiso. It was delicious, and even better that our waiter had wanted us to try it to see if we would like it or not.
My co-worker had the guiso but I went with two barbacoa burritos, and let me tell you, my mouth is watering thinking about them again!
Another big surprise was that their tortillas were genuinely homemade. Not like those mainstream joints that buy their tortillas and cater to... well, not Hispanics...
The service was great. Their food was great. Their prices were well worth it.
In fact, the most expensive thing I bought were three dozen, that's right, three dozen, homemade tortillas for my roommate and I to stuff with whatever we could and slap on the George Foreman grill.
This place is a little tricky to find on 1601 S Hill St, but print out a Google map, study it, and head on over to Aunt Maggie's Kitchen if you enjoy good, genuine Mexican food and service.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
- Celebra una fiesta de Posadas inolvidable para tu familia...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities