Restaurant Review: Aunt Maggie's Kitchen
Quarterback Josh Neiswander, graduate student, looks for a pass in Saturday’s game against the Eastern New Mexico Greyhounds. Pam Belcher
I once spoke of a man here in San Angelo whose cooking reminded me of my dad's.
If Kenny Blanek's reminded me of my dad's home cooking, then Aunt Maggie's reminds me of my grandmother's.
The first time I went to this establishment was last summer with a co-worker of mine.
We were greeted promptly and sat in a corner booth of the relatively small place.
I scanned the menu as our waiter brought out chips and salsa.
That was no surprise. I can't think of any Mexican restaurant that doesn't do that.
What did surprise me, however, was when our waiter brought out a small bowl of that day's lunch special.
Mmmm, pork guiso. It was delicious, and even better that our waiter had wanted us to try it to see if we would like it or not.
My co-worker had the guiso but I went with two barbacoa burritos, and let me tell you, my mouth is watering thinking about them again!
Another big surprise was that their tortillas were genuinely homemade. Not like those mainstream joints that buy their tortillas and cater to... well, not Hispanics...
The service was great. Their food was great. Their prices were well worth it.
In fact, the most expensive thing I bought were three dozen, that's right, three dozen, homemade tortillas for my roommate and I to stuff with whatever we could and slap on the George Foreman grill.
This place is a little tricky to find on 1601 S Hill St, but print out a Google map, study it, and head on over to Aunt Maggie's Kitchen if you enjoy good, genuine Mexican food and service.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Get Involved in Preventing Mosquitoes
- Preparing 21st Century Enterprises for Success in the...
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- How Brand Marketers Drive Lift in Loyalty, Reach
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board
- LendEDU 2016 College Students and Personal Finance Study
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016