Restaurant Review: Aunt Maggie's Kitchen
Quarterback Josh Neiswander, graduate student, looks for a pass in Saturday’s game against the Eastern New Mexico Greyhounds. Pam Belcher
I once spoke of a man here in San Angelo whose cooking reminded me of my dad's.
If Kenny Blanek's reminded me of my dad's home cooking, then Aunt Maggie's reminds me of my grandmother's.
The first time I went to this establishment was last summer with a co-worker of mine.
We were greeted promptly and sat in a corner booth of the relatively small place.
I scanned the menu as our waiter brought out chips and salsa.
That was no surprise. I can't think of any Mexican restaurant that doesn't do that.
What did surprise me, however, was when our waiter brought out a small bowl of that day's lunch special.
Mmmm, pork guiso. It was delicious, and even better that our waiter had wanted us to try it to see if we would like it or not.
My co-worker had the guiso but I went with two barbacoa burritos, and let me tell you, my mouth is watering thinking about them again!
Another big surprise was that their tortillas were genuinely homemade. Not like those mainstream joints that buy their tortillas and cater to... well, not Hispanics...
The service was great. Their food was great. Their prices were well worth it.
In fact, the most expensive thing I bought were three dozen, that's right, three dozen, homemade tortillas for my roommate and I to stuff with whatever we could and slap on the George Foreman grill.
This place is a little tricky to find on 1601 S Hill St, but print out a Google map, study it, and head on over to Aunt Maggie's Kitchen if you enjoy good, genuine Mexican food and service.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Agency Finds Niche for Clients With Small Budgets
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS