Restaurant Review: Aunt Maggie's Kitchen
Quarterback Josh Neiswander, graduate student, looks for a pass in Saturday’s game against the Eastern New Mexico Greyhounds. Pam Belcher
I once spoke of a man here in San Angelo whose cooking reminded me of my dad's.
If Kenny Blanek's reminded me of my dad's home cooking, then Aunt Maggie's reminds me of my grandmother's.
The first time I went to this establishment was last summer with a co-worker of mine.
We were greeted promptly and sat in a corner booth of the relatively small place.
I scanned the menu as our waiter brought out chips and salsa.
That was no surprise. I can't think of any Mexican restaurant that doesn't do that.
What did surprise me, however, was when our waiter brought out a small bowl of that day's lunch special.
Mmmm, pork guiso. It was delicious, and even better that our waiter had wanted us to try it to see if we would like it or not.
My co-worker had the guiso but I went with two barbacoa burritos, and let me tell you, my mouth is watering thinking about them again!
Another big surprise was that their tortillas were genuinely homemade. Not like those mainstream joints that buy their tortillas and cater to... well, not Hispanics...
The service was great. Their food was great. Their prices were well worth it.
In fact, the most expensive thing I bought were three dozen, that's right, three dozen, homemade tortillas for my roommate and I to stuff with whatever we could and slap on the George Foreman grill.
This place is a little tricky to find on 1601 S Hill St, but print out a Google map, study it, and head on over to Aunt Maggie's Kitchen if you enjoy good, genuine Mexican food and service.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- ASU celebrates mascot’s birthday with cupcakes and party hats
- Agriculture students volunteer at the stock show and rodeo
- Former UCPC performer could potentially be the next American Idol
- Rams and Rambelles rack up another victory
- ASU ROTC Program is best detachment in the region
- UCPC hosts grocery bingo for students and gets great results
- Career development hosts a blue and gold scavenger hunt
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...