Conversation partners bridge two worlds
Students break down language barriers
Adam Aldric Garcia, senior, performs at the Cork & Pig Tavern. Kimberley Parker
The Plaza Verde Clubhouse hosts Conversation Partners every Tuesday night at 6 p.m.
"Conversation Partners is for students and community members alike to come and talk with our international students," Graduate Assistant for the Center for International Studies Kayla Franke said.
There are different kinds of snacks and games from a different country, she said.
People come to get to know the international students and build friendships with them while helping the students get a better grasp on the English language, she said.
"Conversation Partners provides the opportunity to meet people from different countries and see how other cultures are," junior Jiwon Kang said.
The environment is very accepting, friendly and everyone is welcome to attend, Franke said.
"It's great to get to see everyone's faces at least once a week because I have built friendships with the students here,"senior Tevin Simmons said.
Conversation Partners is important because more times than not the students on campus are the first impression of what America is like for the international students, he said.
"Last year I participated a lot and made some friends," Kang said.
During Conversation Partners the people who join participate in different activities to help stimulate conversation and give the international students a chance to practice English in a fun way, Franke said.
Everyone always has a good time and there is a large variety of people who come to participate, she said.
"I thoroughly enjoy coming to Conversation Partners, I learn something new every week and it has been a very rewarding experience," Simmons said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses