Conversation partners bridge two worlds
Students break down language barriers
Adam Aldric Garcia, senior, performs at the Cork & Pig Tavern. Kimberley Parker
The Plaza Verde Clubhouse hosts Conversation Partners every Tuesday night at 6 p.m.
"Conversation Partners is for students and community members alike to come and talk with our international students," Graduate Assistant for the Center for International Studies Kayla Franke said.
There are different kinds of snacks and games from a different country, she said.
People come to get to know the international students and build friendships with them while helping the students get a better grasp on the English language, she said.
"Conversation Partners provides the opportunity to meet people from different countries and see how other cultures are," junior Jiwon Kang said.
The environment is very accepting, friendly and everyone is welcome to attend, Franke said.
"It's great to get to see everyone's faces at least once a week because I have built friendships with the students here,"senior Tevin Simmons said.
Conversation Partners is important because more times than not the students on campus are the first impression of what America is like for the international students, he said.
"Last year I participated a lot and made some friends," Kang said.
During Conversation Partners the people who join participate in different activities to help stimulate conversation and give the international students a chance to practice English in a fun way, Franke said.
Everyone always has a good time and there is a large variety of people who come to participate, she said.
"I thoroughly enjoy coming to Conversation Partners, I learn something new every week and it has been a very rewarding experience," Simmons said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor