Conversation partners bridge two worlds
Students break down language barriers
Adam Aldric Garcia, senior, performs at the Cork & Pig Tavern. Kimberley Parker
The Plaza Verde Clubhouse hosts Conversation Partners every Tuesday night at 6 p.m.
"Conversation Partners is for students and community members alike to come and talk with our international students," Graduate Assistant for the Center for International Studies Kayla Franke said.
There are different kinds of snacks and games from a different country, she said.
People come to get to know the international students and build friendships with them while helping the students get a better grasp on the English language, she said.
"Conversation Partners provides the opportunity to meet people from different countries and see how other cultures are," junior Jiwon Kang said.
The environment is very accepting, friendly and everyone is welcome to attend, Franke said.
"It's great to get to see everyone's faces at least once a week because I have built friendships with the students here,"senior Tevin Simmons said.
Conversation Partners is important because more times than not the students on campus are the first impression of what America is like for the international students, he said.
"Last year I participated a lot and made some friends," Kang said.
During Conversation Partners the people who join participate in different activities to help stimulate conversation and give the international students a chance to practice English in a fun way, Franke said.
Everyone always has a good time and there is a large variety of people who come to participate, she said.
"I thoroughly enjoy coming to Conversation Partners, I learn something new every week and it has been a very rewarding experience," Simmons said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video