Meat judging team takes home fourth in Colorado competition
Looking for more wins
ASU's Agricultural Department Meat Judging Team finished fourth place at the National Western International in Greely, Colo.
The National Western International is one of seven meets the team will compete in.
The meat judging team, who returned home on Monday, Jan. 20, is coached by Lexus Weinheimer, and Michael Boenig.
The team is composed of seven members.
The team also placed fifth in Lamb judging, third place in pork judging and fourth place in specifications.
Meat judging is an inner collegiate event that evaluates pork, lamb, and beef to determine the ranking of the meat in terms of which item holds most value.
The team is given four different carcasses to judge and place. Specifications are a category of judging in which the meat must meet certain criteria for industry.
"Meat Judging is a way for students to get out in to different industries that aren't seen every day," Boenig said. "The students get a chance to explore other campus meat labs and work out on their product. Meat judging also instills work effort and time management skills that will help students when applying for jobs in the future."
Boeing said he competed for Texas A&M in 2004 and judging is near and dear to his heart.
"It's a passion that I want to portray to young adults." Michael Boenig said.
Students that participate in meat judging at ASU must maintain a 2.5 GPA, be a current student, and be able to build a resume. A student doesn't have to be part of the Agriculture department however as long as they meet all the other criteria and have the extra time to put in for practices which are held in the evenings.
The meat judging team will travel to Fort Worth to compete in the Southwestern Intercollegiate Meats and Judging competition on Feb. 2. The last competition of the season will be at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo which will be in March.
For more information about the Meat Judging Team contact the Agriculture Department of ASU at 325-942-2027.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
- Stem Cells, Biologics Could Be Answer to Next Generation...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS