Meat judging team takes home fourth in Colorado competition
Looking for more wins
ASU's Agricultural Department Meat Judging Team finished fourth place at the National Western International in Greely, Colo.
The National Western International is one of seven meets the team will compete in.
The meat judging team, who returned home on Monday, Jan. 20, is coached by Lexus Weinheimer, and Michael Boenig.
The team is composed of seven members.
The team also placed fifth in Lamb judging, third place in pork judging and fourth place in specifications.
Meat judging is an inner collegiate event that evaluates pork, lamb, and beef to determine the ranking of the meat in terms of which item holds most value.
The team is given four different carcasses to judge and place. Specifications are a category of judging in which the meat must meet certain criteria for industry.
"Meat Judging is a way for students to get out in to different industries that aren't seen every day," Boenig said. "The students get a chance to explore other campus meat labs and work out on their product. Meat judging also instills work effort and time management skills that will help students when applying for jobs in the future."
Boeing said he competed for Texas A&M in 2004 and judging is near and dear to his heart.
"It's a passion that I want to portray to young adults." Michael Boenig said.
Students that participate in meat judging at ASU must maintain a 2.5 GPA, be a current student, and be able to build a resume. A student doesn't have to be part of the Agriculture department however as long as they meet all the other criteria and have the extra time to put in for practices which are held in the evenings.
The meat judging team will travel to Fort Worth to compete in the Southwestern Intercollegiate Meats and Judging competition on Feb. 2. The last competition of the season will be at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo which will be in March.
For more information about the Meat Judging Team contact the Agriculture Department of ASU at 325-942-2027.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board