SGA prepping for busy semester
Senate looking for new student recruits
The Student Government Association (SGA) has implemented various projects for ASU and has even more plans in store for this upcoming semester.
Currently, the main focus is to recruit more members to be a part of SGA.
"My main objective is to continue expanding the senate," J. Connor Frankhouser vice president of the senate said. "Right now, we are probably sixty percent full."
Hypothetically, SGA is to be comprised of two senators representing each academic department. However, there are many vacant spots within each department.
"It takes a special person with the initiative to want to help their fellow students," Frankhouser said. "Perhaps the best thing is to be an advocate for the students. Not many people are interested in doing that."
This semester the senate is looking forward to preparing for the "Rammys."
The Rammy Awards ceremony is a play on the Grammy Awards and is an event held in April that honors student organizations.
"I think student organizations are the backbone, so we need to give them a celebration," Preston Wimberly student body president and SGA member said.
In conjunction with Center for Student Involvement, this is a celebration that honors organizations by nominating them in various categories.
The formal evening also consists of swearing in the newly-elected student government president and vice president.
SGA is in the process of forming new ideas, such as, giving a college t-shirt in exchange for an ASU t-shirt to boost school pride, creating a new ASU emblem, and holding a voter drive.
"I think something like a voter drive would be cool for our campus, because a lot of students don't get registered," Wimberly said.
"SGA is a voting entity and I would like to get students signed up to vote and learn a little bit more about San Angelo."
Other plans for SGA consist of continuing past projects such as Adopt-a-Hallway and the Student Discount Service.
Adopt-a-Hallway allows organizations to help keep a hallway clean by picking up trash and recycling. In return for doing so, the organization advertises their name on a plaque in that hallway.
The Student Discount Services is another ongoing project that SGA wishes to inform more students about. The service allows students to receive numerous discounts throughout the community.
The student government embodies the voice of the students. They execute new projects to help better the life of those that occupy ASU. It gives one the opportunity to get a real life hands on experience by serving on committees.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about SGA and to have your voice and ideas heard.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS