Obama sets sights on college campus sexual assaults
App can help prevent assaults
President Barack Obama launched an initiative Wednesday, January 22 against the sexual assault epidemic on college campuses.
Obama assigned a newly formed task force of college administrators 90 days to formulate a list of recommendations on preventing and responding to college sexual assaults, reported The Associated Press.
"I definitely believe that it was the right decision," Counselor Director Cleave Pool said. "Bringing this issue to light and educating everyone, males and females, about this issue is the best preventative."
Pool said he has been a part of the counseling center for 13 years and has seen many different cases that deal with sexual assault.
"Female college students need to realize that they are vulnerable to sexual assault, not just walking alone at night, but also on dates and at parties," he said. "[They need] to know how to protect themselves from being victimized. Sexual assault prevention has been one of our Counseling Services office's primary focuses in student education programs on the campus."
The most common statistics shows one in five female college students are sexually assaulted in some manner during college but only 12 percent of those students actually report the assault.
If the 12 percent statistic is true, you can see that it is impossible to know how many college females are actually victimized since the majority never report it.
"The only time I feel uncomfortable is at night and when I am walking alone," sophomore Theresa Felts said. "However most of the time I am usually with someone, so I never feel afraid. I haven't really heard anything about sexual assaults on the ASU campus, so I feel pretty safe here."
Pool said the LifeLine app is an excellent tool for students.
It is a free application for smart phones to help prevent assaults.
"All female [and male] ASU students should use it."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- New CDC Guidelines Seen as Boost for Chiropractic Care
- 10 Questions to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- The Prenatal Vitamin Your Mom Wishes She Had
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day