Carr Hall to open as housing option
Carr Hall available for freshmen and upperclassmen
Carr Hall will become an additional on-campus housing option for students in Fall 2014.
"The opening of Carr Hall is a response to some of the needs of ASU's upperclassmen," Assistant Director of Housing and Residential Programs Tracey Baker said. "We want the students to have more housing options that are both comfortable and affordable."
Carr Hall will be open to both freshmen and upperclassmen and can house up to 68 students, Director of Housing and Residential Programs Peter Rivera said.
"The facility has been used as space for conferences and guest housing for Goodfellow Air Force Base and visitors to Angelo State University until now," Rivera said.
Carr Hall was used for other purposes because there was not a very high demand for it to be used by the students in the past, he said.
"The newer facilities at ASU such as Plaza Verde need to be filled to capacity due to the high mortgage rate, so our priority has been to use our new facilities before the older ones are opened," Rivera said.
Junior Sarah Gore said the opening of Carr Hall is going to be very beneficial for students.
"I think it will be really convenient for a lot of art students because the building is close to where their classes are," Gore said.
The bathrooms were improved along with the camera systems, and there is a kitchen available in Carr Hall, Baker said.
Having a kitchen available is an attractive feature to Carr Hall and a great option for students to cook their own meals or eat when they prefer to, she said.
"I'm excited about being able to provide students with another option of living space on campus," Baker said.
"I think students are always looking for something that allows them to have a change but keeps them a part of the campus community," Baker said.
Due to the small amount of students that can live in Carr Hall, the dorm community will be an intimate one with students being close friends and interacting with each other on a daily basis, Rivera said.
Carr Hall is available for new and renewing students who have paid their housing renewal fee.
A very limited amount of private rooms will be offered beginning March 7 to March 17, Baker said.
The application fee is $100 up to March 1, and then it rises to $200.
"Students will be able to choose their rooms during the open room lottery," Baker said.
"It is great that students will be able to use Carr Hall again," Rivera said. "It has a lot of history and character.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates