Carr Hall to open as housing option
Carr Hall available for freshmen and upperclassmen
Carr Hall will become an additional on-campus housing option for students in Fall 2014.
"The opening of Carr Hall is a response to some of the needs of ASU's upperclassmen," Assistant Director of Housing and Residential Programs Tracey Baker said. "We want the students to have more housing options that are both comfortable and affordable."
Carr Hall will be open to both freshmen and upperclassmen and can house up to 68 students, Director of Housing and Residential Programs Peter Rivera said.
"The facility has been used as space for conferences and guest housing for Goodfellow Air Force Base and visitors to Angelo State University until now," Rivera said.
Carr Hall was used for other purposes because there was not a very high demand for it to be used by the students in the past, he said.
"The newer facilities at ASU such as Plaza Verde need to be filled to capacity due to the high mortgage rate, so our priority has been to use our new facilities before the older ones are opened," Rivera said.
Junior Sarah Gore said the opening of Carr Hall is going to be very beneficial for students.
"I think it will be really convenient for a lot of art students because the building is close to where their classes are," Gore said.
The bathrooms were improved along with the camera systems, and there is a kitchen available in Carr Hall, Baker said.
Having a kitchen available is an attractive feature to Carr Hall and a great option for students to cook their own meals or eat when they prefer to, she said.
"I'm excited about being able to provide students with another option of living space on campus," Baker said.
"I think students are always looking for something that allows them to have a change but keeps them a part of the campus community," Baker said.
Due to the small amount of students that can live in Carr Hall, the dorm community will be an intimate one with students being close friends and interacting with each other on a daily basis, Rivera said.
Carr Hall is available for new and renewing students who have paid their housing renewal fee.
A very limited amount of private rooms will be offered beginning March 7 to March 17, Baker said.
The application fee is $100 up to March 1, and then it rises to $200.
"Students will be able to choose their rooms during the open room lottery," Baker said.
"It is great that students will be able to use Carr Hall again," Rivera said. "It has a lot of history and character.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Know Which Plumbing Projects Need a Pro
- Light Up Your Landscaping Like a Pro
- Manage Emergency Plumbing Leaks With Ease
- How to Protect Pets From Fleas and Ticks
- Key Ingredients for a Healthy Heart
- Spring Cleaning Made Easy to Help Tackle Inanimate Allergens
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards