Valentine's Day can beneifical to all types of people
Sarah Smith, Contributing Writer
Sarah Smith, Contributing Writer
It's that time of the year again when Walmart is full of hearts, plush toys and candy.
The television commercials all talk about buying your special someone a diamond necklace or a new tool set to show him or her how much you care. But, does that really show your true feelings?
Your single friends are probably a bit bitter and being downers, but they have their reasons.
The people in long distance are feeling either a bit down themselves or ecstatic about their boyfriend or girlfriend coming to visit them.
A lot of guys in general are feeling the pressure in making Valentine's Day as special and romantic as possible for their ladies, and we can imagine why.
Society and clever marketing strategies tend to make Valentine's a lot about spending money rather than showing someone how special you think he or she are.
There isn't anything wrong with wanting to buy your special someone a gift or going all out on Valentine's Day. If you have the funds and just feel like spoiling your significant other, then do it.
Pinterest is a great place to start if you are the creative type and want to make your special someone a gift. Pinterest has several cute and crafty ideas for the true crafter.
Even if crafting is not your thing, there are easy D-I-Y projects that can be made in a short amount of time. (Perfect for the last minute gifter.)
Be a bit creative on where you take your date this year. If the weather permits, take him or her for a nice walk. The San Angelo Art Museum, downtown, is a nice place or you could do some nice homemade cooking at your place.
Even though it might be nice to go out, remember that other people are going to have that same idea.
Try a night inside and it will definitely be more intimate and personal between you and your loved one.
Another tip is to put in some effort and make this year more personal. Valentine's Day is a way to express love for one another. It might not take much, to impress the other.
If you're a new couple, then try not to take things too seriously. It's only the first or second Valentine's Day. Buy your loved one a little card, but maybe for that night just order some good food and watch a movie you both enjoy together.
This relates back to a personal and intimate setting. You don't have a crowd around you and 100 different conversations going on around you.
For those of you in long-distance relationships this Valentine's Day, you can have as special a day as those other couples who aren't miles away from each other.
Sit down and order some food, dress up nice and have a Skype dinner with your special someone. This is a great idea because you are able to celebrate the holiday instead of sitting at home and being lonely.
Talk about all the things you two have been through and appreciate the time you both set aside just for each other.
Also, appreicate that you are still able to see each other. There might be long-distance couples who are not able to Skype or see their loved one.
To those of you who are single this year, take advantage of the fact that you don't have to go out and spend money on anyone this Valentine's Day but yourself.
Be your own "loved one." Even though this is Valentine's Day and it is typical to shower the other person, don't be shy to shower yourself.
You don't have to buy a dozen roses and have them delieverd but you can just take the day to love yourself.
The money you don't spend on a fancy dinner can be spent buying all of the chocolates that will be on sale at Walmart the day afterward.
Sometimes, that is the best part of Valentine's Day, whether you are in a relationship or not.
That giant bear you wanted is now at least half off and within your price range. It would make a nice cuddle buddy.
If you're a guy you can spend the day playing video games and staying in your most comfortable clothes because you don't have to dress up for anyone.
There are plenty of ideas and tips for all of those married, in relationships or single.
Valentine's Day shouldn't be centered on only the couples. It benefits everyone.
If you take some of these ideas and apply them to your day then you are going to be just fine.
Do what you are comfortable with but don't forget what the day is really for.
Whatever you choose to do this Valentine's Day have a great time and spend it with the people you care. about.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
- Know Your Pipe Type And Catch Leaks Early
- Cancer Center Finds Smokeless Tobacco May Help You Quit
- Fighting Age-Related Muscle Loss
- A Quarter of Adults Dishonest With Dentists on How Often...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'