University clinic and student nurses give free flu shots
Students should be vaccinated yearly
The Student Nurses Association worked with the University Clinic to give free flu vaccines to students.
According to Adult Clinical Nurse Specialist Christa Martin, at least three students go into the clinic with the flu weekly.
To combat it this season, the Clinic worked with ASU's chapter of the Student Nurses Association at the University Center in giving out free vaccinations on Wednesday, January 29.
Martin said that University Health Services ordered 1500 shots and planned to sell them to students at $10.00 per shot last semester, but not enough students were buying the shots.
The University Clinic decided that it was better to give them away than let them go to waste.
Martin said students' close proximity in a campus like this makes having the flu so much worse.
"A student could be sick and not know it until it's too late," she said.
Students returning to campus from the winter break may have brought the virus with them a which may be different from the strain other students have been vaccinated against, Martin said.
Junior Bianca Jones said she had the flu last year.
"I woke up, took three steps, and vomited," Jones said. "I lay in bed all day in a dark room and skipped all of my classes. At one point I cried because I felt so terrible."
Flyer's put up by University Health Services urge students to stay home if they have any flu-like symptoms, including a fever, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, body aches, sore throat and a cough.
Martin said that the students most likely to catch the flu are people with chronic respiratory problems, such as asthma or people who frequently smoke.
Martin advises students with the flu to visit the clinic if possible.
Students needing medical attention when the clinic is closed can go to the Angelo State University Police Department with their student IDs and get a voucher for free emergency care at Shannon Urgent Care South.
The best measure to take against the virus is to get the vaccine, Martin said.
Every semester the Student Nursing Association has flu shot clinics run by well trained and supervised student nurses, Martin said.
The University Clinic has done everything it can to combat the virus in San Angelo after four local residents suddenly died in January this year.
As far as Martin knows, no ASU student has ever died from the flu.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards