Powell looks to continue mission: named 2013-2014 editor in chief
Bringing experience and talent to the table
Anthony Valva, Contributing Writer
Junior Mariah Powell will return as the editor-in-chief for the Ram Page during the 2013-2014 school year.
She began working for the Ram Page in Fall of 2010.
Powell has held the positions of sports co-editor, features editor and managing editor.
"I look at the opportunity to return as a blessing," she said. "When my mother prompted me to sign up for journalism class my freshmen year of high school, 2006, I laughed in her face because I didn't feel I was cut out for it and I took zero interesting in reporting, but it's turned out to be the best decision I could have ever made."
Next year will mark Powell's sixth year of working on a newspaper staff. She was an editor in high school as well.
"After being editor-in-chief for a semester, I know what needs to be fixed and how to go about fixing the issues," Powell said. "Although the nation's newspaper ingest has declined, I hope to increase reader consumption on campus and community wide."
Powell said she looks forward to gaining more experience than what she already has under her belt.
Ram Page faculty adviser Dr. Cathy Johnson said Mariah helped bring a fresh, new look to the paper late last semester.
"I am happy to have Mariah serve as editor in the 2013-2014 academic year," Johnson said. "After having three editors over the course of the 2012-2013 year, I am looking forward to some stability next year."
Johnson said she is looking forward to seeing what [Powell] will do next year.
Powell is majoring in mass media, with a concentration in advertising and public relations and minoring in art. She has a one year-old daughter named Saniyah.
"I was really hesistant about returning to staff after having my daughter because I knew that both jobs were time consuming, but I took my chances and couldn't be happier," Powell said.
Her current managing editor, freshman Allison Price, will roll over with Powell into the new school year.
"Mariah is an amazing editor," Price said. "She is creative when it comes to designing the pages, and she also gives great advice to each of the staff members whenever they are stuck. I would say she is the complete editing package."
Price said she looks forward to working closely with Powell next year.
"When I came on staff last fall it was very hectic, but it has been a much smoother ride this semester," Price said. "I am looking forward to making the paper even better than it is now. Mariah is a designer, while I am the writer, and together we make a great team. I know we will have a successful year."
Powell said her job helps her as a person.
"Being a part of this staff completes me," she said. "I never thought I would be so passionate about a single subject. I came to ASU looking to be a part of something and I found exactly what I needed."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
- The Financial Implications of Heart Disease
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy