Rams ready to hit the field after three weeks of practice
13 returners on the 2014 roster
The Rams have been working hard in practice to prepare for their season opener.
Senior Trae Davis said the team is really close and ready to start.
"I've been playing baseball since I was five and I don't think I have played on a team that was this close," Davis said. "We are excited for the season."
Head Coach Kevin Brooks said the teams work ethic has been consistent which is a good starting point for the team.
"Work ethic and character are two good strengths the team has and we have that," Brooks said.
The Rams have 13 returners and 17 newcomers on the roster. The Rams have been practicing for the past three weeks.
"We got some new guys but they fit in pretty well," senior Jake Feckley said. "We shouldn't miss a beat."
The 2014 season includes 17 home games and 19 road games. There is a total of 15 non-conference games and 35 Lone Star Conference contests.
"It would be nice to start the season off at home but our schedule is our schedule," Davis said. "It is going to be fun because we will all get together at someone else's place and then the next day they will get to come here. Hopefully we can protect our home field and get some wins here too."
The Rams will play a double header on Sunday, Feb. 2 against McMurry.
As a senior, Davis hopes that he can be a leader to his younger teammates.
"Hopefully the guys understand that not every day is going to be perfect," he said. "We have to work hard on and off the field. You have to show up everyday with a good attitude."
At this time of the year, Brooks said the team to just trying to get everything covered in practice.
"[Baseball] is a simple game if you know how to play catch then you will do pretty good," he said.
Feckley said he can't sleep at night due to his excitement for the season to start.
"Throughout the season, we play half of our games and home and half of them away," he said. "This first month we are playing mostly away and hopefully we respond well to that. I don't think it will be a big issue."
The Rams are starting with seven seniors. Feckley and Jake Albert will be on the mound.
Davis said the guys have been scrimmaging against each other ready to begin actual play.
"[Scrimmaging] is nothing like the first weekend when you put on your uniform and you are all on the same team and in the same dugout going against a completely different school," he said. "We have been looking forward to this all year and Saturday couldn't have come at a better time."
After the double header on Sunday, the Rams will hit the road again to play Texas A&M International University Friday, Feb. 7 and Saturday, Feb. 8. The Rams will play again at home on Friday, Feb. 21 against Colorado School on Mines.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards