Rams ready to hit the field after three weeks of practice
13 returners on the 2014 roster
The Rams have been working hard in practice to prepare for their season opener.
Senior Trae Davis said the team is really close and ready to start.
"I've been playing baseball since I was five and I don't think I have played on a team that was this close," Davis said. "We are excited for the season."
Head Coach Kevin Brooks said the teams work ethic has been consistent which is a good starting point for the team.
"Work ethic and character are two good strengths the team has and we have that," Brooks said.
The Rams have 13 returners and 17 newcomers on the roster. The Rams have been practicing for the past three weeks.
"We got some new guys but they fit in pretty well," senior Jake Feckley said. "We shouldn't miss a beat."
The 2014 season includes 17 home games and 19 road games. There is a total of 15 non-conference games and 35 Lone Star Conference contests.
"It would be nice to start the season off at home but our schedule is our schedule," Davis said. "It is going to be fun because we will all get together at someone else's place and then the next day they will get to come here. Hopefully we can protect our home field and get some wins here too."
The Rams will play a double header on Sunday, Feb. 2 against McMurry.
As a senior, Davis hopes that he can be a leader to his younger teammates.
"Hopefully the guys understand that not every day is going to be perfect," he said. "We have to work hard on and off the field. You have to show up everyday with a good attitude."
At this time of the year, Brooks said the team to just trying to get everything covered in practice.
"[Baseball] is a simple game if you know how to play catch then you will do pretty good," he said.
Feckley said he can't sleep at night due to his excitement for the season to start.
"Throughout the season, we play half of our games and home and half of them away," he said. "This first month we are playing mostly away and hopefully we respond well to that. I don't think it will be a big issue."
The Rams are starting with seven seniors. Feckley and Jake Albert will be on the mound.
Davis said the guys have been scrimmaging against each other ready to begin actual play.
"[Scrimmaging] is nothing like the first weekend when you put on your uniform and you are all on the same team and in the same dugout going against a completely different school," he said. "We have been looking forward to this all year and Saturday couldn't have come at a better time."
After the double header on Sunday, the Rams will hit the road again to play Texas A&M International University Friday, Feb. 7 and Saturday, Feb. 8. The Rams will play again at home on Friday, Feb. 21 against Colorado School on Mines.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership