SGA motions to include international and exchange students as senators
SGA continues to expand
The Student Government Association (SGA) has passed a bill to amend the student constitution that would allow international and exchange students to serve as student senators.
The constitutional amendment will be on the ballot for the student body to vote for on April 8 and 9, along with president, vice president and senator candidates.
SGA President Preston Wimberly said the idea came up last year while working on getting international students transportation around town. It is now going through the amending process.
Wimberly said students are represented through their departments, and freshmen are represented by senators who are appointed by the president every year.
"We should have known about this beforehand, and it got me thinking about representation," Wimberly said. "So I thought we could do the same thing with international students since they're not here to vote."
Senior Alexander Bryant said he believes having international students serve as senators and represent other exchange students would be a huge asset for SGA and ASU.
"It will allow the opportunity [to give] a voice to a group of students who haven't been recognized in contributing their talents and sharing their global experiences with the university," Bryant said.
Wimberly said that is the idea behind the bill.
"I think it's going to allow [SGA] to have that international student perspective on any issue we bring in," Wimberly said. "When we pass legislation, it affects the entire student body. To have as many perspectives on it as we can is going to help the students in general."
The deadline for student senator applications has passed, but any student can still be a write-in candidate as long as he or she has five write-ins from his or her respective department.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor