SGA motions to include international and exchange students as senators
SGA continues to expand
The Student Government Association (SGA) has passed a bill to amend the student constitution that would allow international and exchange students to serve as student senators.
The constitutional amendment will be on the ballot for the student body to vote for on April 8 and 9, along with president, vice president and senator candidates.
SGA President Preston Wimberly said the idea came up last year while working on getting international students transportation around town. It is now going through the amending process.
Wimberly said students are represented through their departments, and freshmen are represented by senators who are appointed by the president every year.
"We should have known about this beforehand, and it got me thinking about representation," Wimberly said. "So I thought we could do the same thing with international students since they're not here to vote."
Senior Alexander Bryant said he believes having international students serve as senators and represent other exchange students would be a huge asset for SGA and ASU.
"It will allow the opportunity [to give] a voice to a group of students who haven't been recognized in contributing their talents and sharing their global experiences with the university," Bryant said.
Wimberly said that is the idea behind the bill.
"I think it's going to allow [SGA] to have that international student perspective on any issue we bring in," Wimberly said. "When we pass legislation, it affects the entire student body. To have as many perspectives on it as we can is going to help the students in general."
The deadline for student senator applications has passed, but any student can still be a write-in candidate as long as he or she has five write-ins from his or her respective department.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas