'Belles to play final home series against Tarleton
Six seniors will be honored in upcoming game
ASU, partnering with the group Young Invincibles, educates students on their options for insurance coverage under new laws. Ashley Romo
The 'Belles draw closer to the end of the softball season after winning both games of their doubleheader against Abilene Christian University this past Tuesday.
The 'Belles won the first game 6-2 and the second game 5-1 to improve their overall record to 28-14 on the year.
The first game was the "Lauren Smith Show" as the senior outfielder hit two home runs and singled in a third RBI in her three plate appearances.
"I'd been struggling a lot the past couple of games," Smith said. "I'm finally seeing the ball a lot better, and anytime I can get a big hit and put our team up against a good Abilene Christian team is great."
Smith was the only player to record an RBI because the other three runs scored came on a pair of errors and a wild pitch made by the Wildcats.
ASU's 13-7 conference records would make the 'Belles the third seed in the Lone Star Conference Championship Tournament should the season end today and with seven conference games left to play in the regular season; the pressure is on the 'Belles.
Despite the team's setbacks, Smith's confidence in the team hasn't swayed.
"We can go as far as we want to go," Smith said. "It's just up to us to show up at every game and play with all we have."
Senior pitcher Mary Kate McKay pitched the entire seven innings and picked up her ninth win of the season.
The second win came on the pitching arm of junior Sandra Serna, who picked up her 18th win of the season after giving a gem performance.
Serna pitched the entire seven innings, gave up one earned run, struck out four and walked no one.
Serna transferred to ASU from Howard College and immediately started fitting in.
"Everybody accepted me right away," Serna said. "They all knew I was coming and they were ready for me."
Serna quickly started producing as well as earning Lone Star Conference Pitcher of the Week honors in her first week on the team and a second award on April 2 as a co-pitcher with Incarnate Word's Briana Sanchez.
"I worked my hardest and did my best to prove my spot on the team," Serna said. "I'm still working hard to try and keep it up."
Serna said she believes she can do better though.
"I think one pitch I definitely need to work on is my curve," Serna said. "It's inconsistent, but other than that I feel like I'm doing pretty well with getting outs and helping the team out."
The 'Belles' next game will be on Friday, at ASU's George McCorkle Field at 7 p.m.
The 'Belles will have a ceremony honoring the six seniors on Saturday, before their doubleheader that starts at 1 p.m.
The seniors will look to go out winners in their last three games at home ever.
"We're pitching well, we're hitting the ball well, and we're playing defense well." Smith said. "If we can have all three things working for us at the same time, we're pretty hard to stop."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists