'Belles to play final home series against Tarleton
Six seniors will be honored in upcoming game
ASU, partnering with the group Young Invincibles, educates students on their options for insurance coverage under new laws. Ashley Romo
The 'Belles draw closer to the end of the softball season after winning both games of their doubleheader against Abilene Christian University this past Tuesday.
The 'Belles won the first game 6-2 and the second game 5-1 to improve their overall record to 28-14 on the year.
The first game was the "Lauren Smith Show" as the senior outfielder hit two home runs and singled in a third RBI in her three plate appearances.
"I'd been struggling a lot the past couple of games," Smith said. "I'm finally seeing the ball a lot better, and anytime I can get a big hit and put our team up against a good Abilene Christian team is great."
Smith was the only player to record an RBI because the other three runs scored came on a pair of errors and a wild pitch made by the Wildcats.
ASU's 13-7 conference records would make the 'Belles the third seed in the Lone Star Conference Championship Tournament should the season end today and with seven conference games left to play in the regular season; the pressure is on the 'Belles.
Despite the team's setbacks, Smith's confidence in the team hasn't swayed.
"We can go as far as we want to go," Smith said. "It's just up to us to show up at every game and play with all we have."
Senior pitcher Mary Kate McKay pitched the entire seven innings and picked up her ninth win of the season.
The second win came on the pitching arm of junior Sandra Serna, who picked up her 18th win of the season after giving a gem performance.
Serna pitched the entire seven innings, gave up one earned run, struck out four and walked no one.
Serna transferred to ASU from Howard College and immediately started fitting in.
"Everybody accepted me right away," Serna said. "They all knew I was coming and they were ready for me."
Serna quickly started producing as well as earning Lone Star Conference Pitcher of the Week honors in her first week on the team and a second award on April 2 as a co-pitcher with Incarnate Word's Briana Sanchez.
"I worked my hardest and did my best to prove my spot on the team," Serna said. "I'm still working hard to try and keep it up."
Serna said she believes she can do better though.
"I think one pitch I definitely need to work on is my curve," Serna said. "It's inconsistent, but other than that I feel like I'm doing pretty well with getting outs and helping the team out."
The 'Belles' next game will be on Friday, at ASU's George McCorkle Field at 7 p.m.
The 'Belles will have a ceremony honoring the six seniors on Saturday, before their doubleheader that starts at 1 p.m.
The seniors will look to go out winners in their last three games at home ever.
"We're pitching well, we're hitting the ball well, and we're playing defense well." Smith said. "If we can have all three things working for us at the same time, we're pretty hard to stop."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Softball seniors go out with a bang at their last home game
- German club hosts Walpurgis Night, all are invited
- Student chooses ASU for the small time feel, scholarships and smiling faces
- Athlete from Hamlin, Texas, picks ASU for track experience
- PIKE gets risqué for a good cause
- Famous paleontologist talks to students about his discovery of an extinct fish
- Drop and Shop sale benefits Concho Valley PAWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!