Earth Day celebration reminds student to keep the planet clean
Different activities all reflect Earth Day
The Center for Student Involvement (CSI) will host an Earth Day event Tuesday, April 22, to remind students to reduce, reuse and recycle.
Faculty, staff and students can recycle old T-shirts between the library and the UC under the canopies from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lorina Soza Multicultural Center program assistant said students have different options with their old T-shirts.
One is sewing a pillow from a retired shirt. Something else they can do is cut the edges and tie the fringes into knots.
"I think that recycling old T-shirts is a really good idea," senior Nathan Cumberland said. "I actually have a lot of ASU shirts that I never wear that are just sitting in my closet. I'm sure I'm not the only one."
Cumberland said it seems like students care more about the latest technology than about maintaining the world for future generations.
"It's ironic that if trees produced Wi-Fi instead of oxygen, everyone would plant them," he said.
Earth Day was launched in 1970 to raise public awareness of air and water population.
The ASU event will recognize the students who ride their bikes, skateboards and longboards to class, rather than drive.
"I would rather longboard than walk because it is an easier way to get around," junior Jorge Gonzales said. "It is much faster than walking, and it doesn't require that much energy."
Soza said the Multicultural Center will reduce the lighting in its office for a certain period of time.
"I think it is really important that ASU host these sort of events to keep students aware," Cumberland said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities