Earth Day celebration reminds student to keep the planet clean
Different activities all reflect Earth Day
The Center for Student Involvement (CSI) will host an Earth Day event Tuesday, April 22, to remind students to reduce, reuse and recycle.
Faculty, staff and students can recycle old T-shirts between the library and the UC under the canopies from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lorina Soza Multicultural Center program assistant said students have different options with their old T-shirts.
One is sewing a pillow from a retired shirt. Something else they can do is cut the edges and tie the fringes into knots.
"I think that recycling old T-shirts is a really good idea," senior Nathan Cumberland said. "I actually have a lot of ASU shirts that I never wear that are just sitting in my closet. I'm sure I'm not the only one."
Cumberland said it seems like students care more about the latest technology than about maintaining the world for future generations.
"It's ironic that if trees produced Wi-Fi instead of oxygen, everyone would plant them," he said.
Earth Day was launched in 1970 to raise public awareness of air and water population.
The ASU event will recognize the students who ride their bikes, skateboards and longboards to class, rather than drive.
"I would rather longboard than walk because it is an easier way to get around," junior Jorge Gonzales said. "It is much faster than walking, and it doesn't require that much energy."
Soza said the Multicultural Center will reduce the lighting in its office for a certain period of time.
"I think it is really important that ASU host these sort of events to keep students aware," Cumberland said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor