Earth Day celebration reminds student to keep the planet clean
Different activities all reflect Earth Day
The Center for Student Involvement (CSI) will host an Earth Day event Tuesday, April 22, to remind students to reduce, reuse and recycle.
Faculty, staff and students can recycle old T-shirts between the library and the UC under the canopies from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lorina Soza Multicultural Center program assistant said students have different options with their old T-shirts.
One is sewing a pillow from a retired shirt. Something else they can do is cut the edges and tie the fringes into knots.
"I think that recycling old T-shirts is a really good idea," senior Nathan Cumberland said. "I actually have a lot of ASU shirts that I never wear that are just sitting in my closet. I'm sure I'm not the only one."
Cumberland said it seems like students care more about the latest technology than about maintaining the world for future generations.
"It's ironic that if trees produced Wi-Fi instead of oxygen, everyone would plant them," he said.
Earth Day was launched in 1970 to raise public awareness of air and water population.
The ASU event will recognize the students who ride their bikes, skateboards and longboards to class, rather than drive.
"I would rather longboard than walk because it is an easier way to get around," junior Jorge Gonzales said. "It is much faster than walking, and it doesn't require that much energy."
Soza said the Multicultural Center will reduce the lighting in its office for a certain period of time.
"I think it is really important that ASU host these sort of events to keep students aware," Cumberland said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Four Tech Tools That Can Help Your Small Business Grow
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum