Spearman hits back-to-back grand slams
Softball: Girls extend streak to eight
Sophomore Morgan Spearman gets ready at the plate. Kimberley Parker
The Rambelles are now 8-2 on the year after outscoring their opponents 24-10 in a three-game sweep at the South Central Shootout in Durant, Okla.
Sophomore Morgan Spearman accomplished something in the second game of the series that many professional players never do; she hit a game-winning grand slam.
Then in the third game, she did it again for a second time.
In the second game, the ‘Belles were down 6-3 against Arkansas-Monticello University in the top of the seventh with the bases loaded and Morgan Spearman was up to the plate where she smacked an outside pitch to the opposite field to clear the bases.
"I wasn't in the game," Spearman said. "I came in to pinch-hit for Jasmaine [Moore]. My mindset was to get a base hit so we can get some runs because we were down; happened to be more than just a base hit."
Junior catcher Kacie Easley put up two more insurance runs with her own home run. The score stayed 9-6 and the ‘Belles defeated the No. 12 ranked Blossoms to make themselves 7-2.
A few hours later in game three, the same scenario emerged as the ‘Belles found themselves down 3-1 in the bottom of the sixth with the bases loaded and Spearman at the plate.
Spearman said she didn't realize that she was in the exact same scenario and didn't even think about hitting home runs, but just getting hits.
Spearman swung and took the first pitch over the center field wall for her second grand slam and the ‘Belles won 5-3 over Henderson state and 8-2 on the year.
"That one came off the bat like it was over," Spearman said, and it was over.
Spearman had four hits over the weekend with her two grand slams, giving her eight RBIs to give her 11 on the year.
Senior Claire Molina earned the win in two games (Southern Arkansas and Arkansas-Monticello), pitching 6.0 total innings with a 0.00 ERA and seven strikeouts.
Molina's ERA for the year is now 4.00 over 27.0 innings pitched and 23 strikeouts.
Sophomore pitcher Mary Kate McKay has a 3.27 ERA with 32 strikeouts over 33.0 innings pitched.
Freshman Kat Massey has seen limited action with 5.2 innings pitched and a 14.29 ERA with four strikeouts.
Juniors April Breshears and Lauren Smith each hit a three-run homer in the 10-1 blowout of Southern Arkansas.
Three girls have RBIs in the double digits and senior Elsamartina Apo has nine RBIs.
The team has now won eight games in a row.
"I'm not really sure what to even say," head coach Travis Scott said. "Morgan was huge for us, and I know this is a weekend she'll remember for quite some time. It's not every day you'll have two game-winning grand slams."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections