UREC to prepare students with wilderness first aid
Course to teach students about real world scenarios
University Recreation is offering a new American Red Cross certification on Jan. 18 and 19 at the ASU Lake House and Facility.
"The Wilderness and Remote First Aid course is designed to help students learn extended first aid skills," Outdoor Adventures Manager Ian Brown said.
Participants will get hands on experience and practice real time judgment and decision making in a realistic situation, Brown said.
"Our primary goals for this is helping our staff become better equipped with the skills, practice and knowledge to effectively handle a number of different situations they may come across," he said.
Any student is welcome to participate and many students who are attending are doing it to become more experienced in the field so if they go do something out there they are better prepared, Brown said.
"This course provides an opportunity for the students to further their knowledge in not only first aid but technical first aid," Graduate Assistant for Outdoor Adventures Carlea Ulrich said.
The Wilderness and Remote First Aid course strives to be as realistic as possible with different scenarios such as sprains, injuries, and even fake blood, she said.
"This is the second time we have had something like this and it was well received by students last year," Brown said.
The reason behind the course being as realistic as possible is so that when these scenarios happen in real life an individual won't be too shocked at the sight of it and be able to calmly follow what they learned at the course, she said.
"If a student is going to be in the wilderness for any reason I believe that attending this course would be a step in the right direction," senior Josue Rodriguez said.
One can never be too prepared in any situation and with this course a student can learn the necessary steps in possibly saving someone's life, he said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Food, Fuel, and Finance ... The 3Fs of Economics
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates