UREC to prepare students with wilderness first aid
Course to teach students about real world scenarios
University Recreation is offering a new American Red Cross certification on Jan. 18 and 19 at the ASU Lake House and Facility.
"The Wilderness and Remote First Aid course is designed to help students learn extended first aid skills," Outdoor Adventures Manager Ian Brown said.
Participants will get hands on experience and practice real time judgment and decision making in a realistic situation, Brown said.
"Our primary goals for this is helping our staff become better equipped with the skills, practice and knowledge to effectively handle a number of different situations they may come across," he said.
Any student is welcome to participate and many students who are attending are doing it to become more experienced in the field so if they go do something out there they are better prepared, Brown said.
"This course provides an opportunity for the students to further their knowledge in not only first aid but technical first aid," Graduate Assistant for Outdoor Adventures Carlea Ulrich said.
The Wilderness and Remote First Aid course strives to be as realistic as possible with different scenarios such as sprains, injuries, and even fake blood, she said.
"This is the second time we have had something like this and it was well received by students last year," Brown said.
The reason behind the course being as realistic as possible is so that when these scenarios happen in real life an individual won't be too shocked at the sight of it and be able to calmly follow what they learned at the course, she said.
"If a student is going to be in the wilderness for any reason I believe that attending this course would be a step in the right direction," senior Josue Rodriguez said.
One can never be too prepared in any situation and with this course a student can learn the necessary steps in possibly saving someone's life, he said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists