A new year and a change for the better
Scott Dykowski, Editor-in-Chief. Ram Page
We did it. Just know that it is going to get easier and that it is one week done. Now how many more until May? I feel that the first couple of weeks are a struggle for students because some might be new to campus and others are returning from a nice long month break.
College is not scary. It might be the first experience for teens to really get an understanding of what being independent means. Everyone has heard the saying that high school is the best years of your life but that definitely rolls over into college. I can honestly say that I was not ready to come back to school. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who thought the same thing. But it's something that we have to do.
I am currently in the second half of my sophomore year. I am a full-time student and I now juggle a new job as Editor for the Ram Page. It is an overwhelming experience but I couldn't be more excited for the opportunity. I am also thankful that I have this position because I will be able to rack up experience that I can keep with me once I graduate college. You have to start now at something if you want to really make a change for the better.
"Change is a good thing." I have heard this saying several times and I didn't like it and appreciate it. No one likes change and for some it can be hard to adjust to a new life away from home and surrounded by thousands of people. But what you might not think about is the fact that the other thousands of people might be going through the same thing that you are going through. Some of those students might also be starting their first semester of college, some might be struggling in their classes and some, like myself, might be trying to be a full-time student while also working a job or even more than one job.
I still have a hard time coming to campus and meeting new people because I am a quiet person and I keep to myself. After being on my own for this long, I have embraced the world and made some really great friendships and it ended up being not as bad as I thought. I know that being Editor will also help build my people skills because I get to not only talk to faculty and staff but I get to be a voice for students. That is one aspect of my job that I love.
This is a new year and take a minute to examine your life. See what you could change. Even though it isn't New Year's anymore, keep making resolutions for yourself and ones that will benefit your life. Cherish the little moments in life. There seems to be a lot more when you get older. It is important to stay strong and when the going gets tough, just take a step back and breath. Don't get overwhelmed because it might not be as bad as you think. And if you keep meeting people and making friends, then those people will be there for you later on.
We can all get through this. We have made it a whole week. Know that if change is thrown your way, it is for the better. Welcome back faculty, staff, returning students and new students. We are all a part of ASU and lets make 2014 a year for the better.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists