Why I chose to major in Philosophy
Last year, I returned to ASU as an undergraduate student to pursue a degree in philosophy.
"Philosophy?," most people ask me, "What are you going to do with that?"
In our current economic recession, this question is legitimate. I will try to answer why I decided that philosophy is the best degree for me.
Many people choose their majors based on which degree seems more marketable.
Every company needs a business leader or an accountant and every hospital needs nurses, so these degrees are often the most popular. However, even these degrees do not guarantee a job in the current market.
I decided to instead major in something that is stimulating for me and makes me feel I have gained important skills.
The skills I have learned in philosophy, namely critical thinking and clear communication, are some of the most sought-after by business leaders of various settings, but I have chosen to continue my education and apply to graduate school.
By the time I graduate this spring, I will know whether I have been accepted for fall admission to graduate school.
As a philosophy major, I have made great progress in my ability to understand other fields of study.
In all of my classes, from science to literature, I feel more competent because of my philosophy classes.
Philosophy forces me to critically examine my own beliefs and the beliefs of others.
It allows me to understand the logical progression of what I read and what others say.
The skill of understanding implications is often neglected in other fields of study because there is no time to teach me how to think; I need to learn facts instead.
However, philosophy taught me how to think for myself, no matter what subject matter I am considering.
I have also learned how to write clearly and concisely from philosophy classes.
This skill has helped me write papers for classes, for resumes, for publication, for conferences, for the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE), and for graduate school applications.
Being able to communicate with others is a skill that every job requires.
From my philosophy papers, I learned how to write self-consciously, and I can better say exactly what I mean.
I have learned invaluable skills from taking philosophy classes, but most importantly, I am inspired by philosophy.
I've always been a curious type of person. As a child, I wondered about the world around me, myself, and other people.
I realized later that there are some questions that no one knows the answer to. Philosophy gives me an outlet for exploring these questions and seeking possible answers.
For this reason, philosophy is much more than a major for me. It is the Raison d'Ãªtre, the reason for existing.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
- Student Social Work Association raises money for Concho Valley Rape Crisis...
- Rams baseball reaches its 401st win after a three game series
- Friendliness leads to extended stay
- Ram Page reflects on the past year and sets goals for the future
- 13th annual pops at the pavilion emphasizes the importance of happiness in life
- Ram TV and Ram Page students are awarded for their hard work
- Online fundraiser will raise donations for nonprofits in San Angelo
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS