Rugby rucks in win for back-to-back state championships
Rams prepare for nationals on March 25
Ram Rugby continued their undefeated streak March 4-5 by winning the Lone Star Rugby Championship tournament in Stephenville for the state title for the second consecutive year.
"It’s amazing to win it back-to-back, especially coming off of our best season ever," Brain Signorelli, junior, said.
This team is the first in the program’s history to win the state title two consecutive times.
"It’s my last year so I wanted it to be special," Beau Waskom, senior captain, said. "Angelo State’s never gone back to back so it’s a cool experience."
The Rams took an automatic win in their first game when the Southern Methodist University Mustangs failed to show up.
Their next game against the Sam Houston State University Bearkats was another win for the Rams.
The team completed five tries in the first half and held off the Bearkats in the second, making the score 32-5.
The championship game against the also undefeated University of Dallas proved to be more of a challenge for the Rams.
UD held off the Rams in the first half of game, forcing the score 8-5 in their favor. This left Rams fans on the edge of their seats.
"We’ve been down before but we always come up," Kevin Reid, junior, said. "We know what we’re capable of and we encourage each other."
The Rams came alive in the second half, scoring five tries. The final score of the thing," Signorelli said. "We’re the most competitive people ever and we drive each other."
After they built up a comfortable lead, the Rams began to relax and have a little more fun on the field.
"Honestly once we got up by 30, I was trying to think of an Instagram caption so I could get a bunch of likes," Waskom said.
When the 80 minutes were over, the Rams, their coaches and fans flooded the field in celebration.
"I feel really good," Reid said. "One thing we pride ourselves on as team is our chemistry. We value that on and off the field. To win another championship with my brothers is a feeling you can’t explain."
Emmett Spooner, junior, said the team was motivated by the brotherhood they have and they wanted to win it for the seniors.
There are five starting seniors on the team.
Ram Rugby is currently preparing for the Cowboy Cup March 25 and 26 in Dallas where they will play Denver University and hope to continue their season sweep.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More asurampage News Articles
Recent asurampage News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASURAMPAGE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TODAY'S PRINT EDITION
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASURAMPAGE NEWS
RECENT ASURAMPAGE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards